lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #1
DND FUN TEAM
Not Yet Wild

Default Melting plugs on charger and cart

OK I have had this 1994 cart a couple years have had no problems. Went to charge my cart plugged it in charger looked like it was working fine meter was moving. Then smelled burning
pulled plug out of golf cart it was hot and had melted the charger plug end. Replaced the charger plug. Tried again this time it melted both the charger plug end and my cart receptacle that you plug the charger into. Replaced them both this time. Melted again. Batteries have a 36 volt together, charger is outputting 36 volts. cables and wires seem all good . What could it be????
DND FUN TEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
trainsafe
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Melting plugs on charger and cart

Heat like this is always a sign of high resistance near the melting. It could be loose connections, broken wires (even inside the insulation), or buildup on the connector blades.

Recheck the tightness of the terminals, then carefully inspect the wires near the connectors.
trainsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You need to replace both parts to get a good connection again that won't get hot.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
DND FUN TEAM
Not Yet Wild

I have replaced both connection they melted again. I'm going to check the wiring better and the battery connection. I had to order new connectors one for the charger and one for the cart with new metal tips. keep fingers cross
DND FUN TEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What do your battery jumpers look like? Just curious?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
What do your battery jumpers look like? Just curious?
Local resident asked me to look at his cart again; these are old DS units with old batteries sold from the golf course years ago... His batteries are tired no two ways around it but the charger was shutting down on over amperage. I found the cables so badly corroded and rotted that the charge was just not getting through. Cleaned as best I could and replaced a cable when the end just fell off. Plugged in the charger and you could tell right off the bat that things were so much better. By the afternoon the retired old Marine was taking his dog for a walk in style again with a beer and cigar while he drove the cart and the dog walked....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO