lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Thinking and reconsidering this whole 48v swap.

Ok I know controller needs swapped got all that part Coversed here.

My question is I been looking at 48v used ezgo factory chargers. I have a place I feel confident in and can get them, that's not an issue. But they do not have the cart plug that matches my 96 txt "D" shaped plug. One has the triangle plug. I figure no big deal I'll get the D pkug end and replace it. Looking on anazon and ebay to see of that part is available I see it is. Just scanning the details it says that that pkug end can only be used with 36v power wise chargers not 48v powerwise.

So is this true or just manufacture legal speak? If not why can it not be done. I just don't want the answer fire, but specificly why if it cant. It seems strange because @48v isn't There less amps to accomplish the same thing or something along those lines?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
MichaelClayshulte
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Thinking and reconsidering this whole 48v swap.

How much are the used 48v chargers going for? Scottyb has brand new dpi 48v chargers with whatever plug you want cheaper than anywhere. If the used charger is pretty cheap I would give it a shot changing the plug, otherwise might as well get a new charger that you know won't give any problems down the road if the price is comparable.
MichaelClayshulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

They may only be referring to the fact that it is a different shape and physically will not work with the plug on a factory 48v cart.
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelClayshulte View Post
How much are the used 48v chargers going for? Scottyb has brand new dpi 48v chargers with whatever plug you want cheaper than anywhere. If the used charger is pretty cheap I would give it a shot changing the plug, otherwise might as well get a new charger that you know won't give any problems down the road if the price is comparable.
I can buy one for $150 three different models to choose from.

I see people on here selling their chargers for $150 as well. My thoughts is get the 48v one and throwing mine up for sale on here and be out almost nothing.

I may think about the DPI charger but this same place sells those for $255 so that's a bit cheaper as well. I could still sell my used 36v one and be into a DPI charger about $100
Old 06-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint View Post
They may only be referring to the fact that it is a different shape and physically will not work with the plug on a factory 48v cart.
That's probably correct in that like was pointed out if I buy a 48v DPI charger from Scotty it will have the D shaped pkug on it if I like. I think you nailed the answer here.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I got my DPI from Scotty 48v with the D plug he asked what plug I wanted on it no problem with the plug
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok I pulled the trigger. Kind of. My buddy just ordered me six 8v batteries. Going tomorrow to get my DPI charger with the D plug already on it to not fool with that. Going to sell my 36v to recoup some costs.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

One thing to be aware if if keeping the square D plug is if someone by mistake plugs a 36 volt charger into it or plugging your charger into another cart.. The 48 volt square D factory plug I believe had an index key on it to prevent that. If you choose to abandon the charger port all together you could just use SB50 connectors..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If it's a personal cart, I would not worry too much about what connector you have on your cart. You can control what charger is hooked up to it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
If it's a personal cart, I would not worry too much about what connector you have on your cart. You can control what charger is hooked up to it.
I'm not and I'm with you here. One I get the 48v charger the 36v one goes up for sale and will have a new home and won't be around here anyway to screw up with anyhow.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO