lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #11
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Tire size confusion

[QUOTE=skipsmith521;1281927]I am looking at tires and wheels...

If 20 inch tires are the largest tires for a txt...

How does a 19 or 20 inch fit?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk[/QU

If those tires in your picture are 18 x 8.5 x 8's, they should be measuring somewhere closer to 18 " and not the 16 1/2" shown. Maybe they are worn! Like others said, only 1/2 of the diameter increase will appear at the top. So, if you go from your 16 1/2" to 20", a 1.75" increase will be at the top. The top surface of a 20" tire would be at your "current" 18.25" mark and your cart will be 1.75" higher off the ground. Hope this helps ! RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 06-05-2016 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: correction
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
If those tires in your picture are 18 x 8.5 x 8's, they should be measuring somewhere closer to 18 " and not the 16" shown. Maybe they are worn! Like others said, only 1/2 of the diameter increase will appear at the top. If you go from your 16" to 20", 2" increase will be at the top.
FWIW: The SAE tire size stated on the sidewall is only approximate.
The metric sized tire dimensions tends to agree closer with the numbers stamped on them.

My 18X8.50-8 tires are only 17" tall.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #13
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The tire in the photo is newer...replaced it 4 months ago.

Since the numbers on the side wall is approximate, does this mean that one standard golf tire could be 18 and another one 17 inches because of different manufacturer? Even though they are all stamped 18 X 8.5 X 8 ?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #14
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post

Since the numbers on the side wall is approximate, does this mean that one standard golf tire could be 18 and another one 17 inches because of different manufacturer? Even though they are all stamped 18 X 8.5 X 8 ?

Yep. Car tires are the same way. I use to sell them. Not only height but actual profile and width varied as well.

I was at the cart dealer last week and the had some 23's that one was more like 25'' and rounded and others just like it 23 and squared off. Another set of like 205/50r12s or something in 2 different tires were like 2" difference.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post

It is worse than that. A difference in size between tires having the same numbers embossed on their sidewalls not only exists between different model tires by the same manufacturer, tires of the same model by the same manufacturer can have different dimensions.

Carlisle Links were tires that were on just about every golf cart that rolled off the EZGO assembly lines for years and one forum member discovered the height of the two of the original Links tires on his cart was over an inch different than the two replacement Links tires on his cart.

Making matters even worse, the MTD (Mounted Tire Diameter) published by some manufacturers isn't accurate. For example, My Carlisle Turf Master tires are stamped 18x8.50-8, Carlisle's website says the MTD is 18.3" and the ones on my cart only measure 17.0" tall.

My cart had Carlisle Links tires on it when I got it and two were worn and weather checked while the two with fairly decent tread had slow leaks. I wanted to stay about stock height, but wanted a bit more aggressive tread pattern that was still acceptable for driving on the grass in city parks. Being only 0.3" taller than stock (or so I thought) wasn't a significant torque loss, so I went with the Turf Masters. A local tire store is a Carlisle dealer and I got them for $55 each installed on my stock rims.

I was fat, dumb and happy until I discovered the motor RPM I was measuring with the tachometer function of a DMM I have didn't match the motor RPM I was calculating with a spreadsheet I was putting together to show speed gain and torque loss vs tire height. Then, for the first time, I measured the height of my tires with a level and yardstick and discovered that they were only 17" tall. I later measured the rolling circumference at max recommended inflation pressure (22PSI) with drive onboard, for four tire revolutions (214.125") and came up with an effective tire height on 17.03953"

In a nutshell, I pay fairly close attention to details and I'm fairly thorough in my research, but I still ended up with tires 1.3" shorter than I thought I was getting. Fortunately, they serve my purposes well in the hills of WV, but I did get hornswoggled.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO