lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
jdixon0631
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 4g cables hot

How hot should the 4g cables get going to the f/r switch ,motor and controller get? 4g cables on the batteries w9nt get warm. I can hold my hand on them, but they get extremely hot. It is 99 degrees outside today. Put a temp laser on them and reading 130
jdixon0631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Re: 4g cables hot

Not sure if you could trust a lazor temp on such a small cable. On the other hand, they say 140 degrees is about how hot you can keep your hand on.

If the heat is radiating from the connections, you might clean them. But if the cables are evenly hot, you have probably reached the limits of current for that size cable. Not saying your hurting the cart. my 2G cables barely get any warmer than the outside.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
jdixon0631
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

All components f/r,cables, controller and motor are new. The entire cable, all of them get hot from lugs to center cable. Just wondering how hot is normal.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would say that's hotter than it should be. Esp for new healthy wires and connections, that are clean.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:48 AM   #5
Helirich
Gone Wild

I don't know what is considered "normal", but for reference, I drove full throttle for two miles and my cables were barely wormer than the outside. (About 90)

That's with a 500 amp controller and a 12 hp motor. JohnnieB will tell you the amp draw will be considerably less than that at high Rpms. Your 400 will be delivering the same as mine, if you had the same motor, at high rpm.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I did a lot of testing on terminal temperature when I was designing my HD F&R modification. The thread is years old and long since buried in the archives.
Basically 10-15º above ambient temp is normal under a good load (significant current flow)
130 degrees is about as hot as I saw on the OEM switch which was failing at the time because the studs were melting deeper into the plastic F&R housing at those temps. A bad or resistive contact will heat up. The heat is then transferred from the stud to the cable. So stud temp is higher than what you are seeing at the cable.
I suspect you need a truly HD F&R
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #7
jdixon0631
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I noticed when I'm cruzin the cables are cooler than when creeping looking for golf balls in the woods. I'm no expert but I assume current draw will be less at different speeds
Old 07-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #8
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes. Starting and stopping I think your useing more power than if your constantly running at cruise speed. Johhy I'm sure WilL show us a diagram of it. Ha!
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Current draw is in direct proportion to load. The motor works harder at low speed than high speed thus it's drawing more current which creates more heat.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The temperature rise on all 13 high current cables in a series drive cart ought to be nearly the same during operation and none of them should climb more than 10°F to 15°F above the ambient air temperature.

There are a lot of variables, but the two coolest running cables should be the cables from the battery pack's main positive and negative terminals to the battery side large terminal on the solenoid and to the B- terminal on the controller. The five cables connecting the six batteries in series might get slightly warmer because the are shorter and have less heat radiating area between the two cable ends. Due to the electrical flywheel effect associated with motors powered by pulse width modulated DC, the other six cables will have a bit more than total battery current flowing through them when the cart is running at less than 100% throttle, so they may get slightly warmer than the 7 cable that hove total battery current only flowing through them.

If any get hotter than about 15°F above ambient, then they are undersized for the application, or there is excessive resistance in the cable end terminals, or there is excessive resistance in their connections.

------------
The amps a DC cart motor is physically capable of drawing is inversely proportional to its RPM, so a cart motor can draw more amps while the cart is operating at low speed than it can when the cart is running at top speed, so your cables will get hotter looking for golf balls in the woods than they do when cruising the neighborhood.

----------
It is difficult to get a good temperature measurement from a cable's relatively thin cylindrical surface with a IR thermometer, especially if the insulation is shiny. Too far away and you'll be including the background in the reading, so it will be low.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO