lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #11
MPS1982
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Wiring to eliminate reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Let's start with determining if the motor is series or sepex.

Looking into it from the output shaft end you'll see four field windings surrounding the armature. In a series motor they will be made of thick wires while in a sepex motor they will be made of thin wires.

Picture-1 is a series motor and Picture-2 is a sepex motor.

---------
The Curtis 1204-009 is a 24V to 36V - 275A series controller with a 0-5K throttle input. (Attached is the Curtis manual for that controller family.)

-------
I cannot make out everything on the schematic you posted, I cannot see the details and labeling of the solenoid activation circuit, but the with the A2 cable eliminated, the motor ought to run.

Looks like it will only go to about 66% throttle since a 10k pot in parallel with a 5k pot maxes out at 3.33k. Intentional?
Well, if the wiring is a definitive way to differentiate, I definitely have a sepex. My wires look just like that. So, that said, my motor and my controller are incompatible?

About the parallel pots: pot one is a 50K pot, but I'm only using 0-5K (limited by physical hardstops). I did this because I will be using a twist throttle and will only be able to move the throttle through a few degrees with the amount of travel I will get from twisting the grip. The second pot (0-10k) is a governor. I want to be able to limit the top speed for different riders. But you are right, looking at the calculation for total resistance in parallel, I realize this won't work. Good catch. I think I can achieve my goals by making the governor pot a 50K and putting an on/off switch between it and the connection node. When switched on, I'll have two resistors in parallel, but when off, just the one throttle pot acts alone and will allow 100% speed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
MPS1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #12
MPS1982
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
lets have some photos of motor and controller
Pictures of motor and controller...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1468287326338234097987.jpg (203.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1468287389261-1292714239.jpg (121.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1468287452799103199583.jpg (154.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #13
MPS1982
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
Interesting, could you please take some pics. Post them here or a link to a build thread.

As far as your question, did you get a donor cart or just parts?
Here's my concept sketch...rough, I know, but still very much in a planning phase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14682880346561483567741.jpg (163.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes that is a sepex motor for sure.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #15
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Yes that is a sepex motor for sure.
??? The stud closest to the camera is labeled S2.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPS1982 View Post
1. Well, if the wiring is a definitive way to differentiate, I definitely have a sepex. My wires look just like that. So, that said, my motor and my controller are incompatible?

2. About the parallel pots: pot one is a 50K pot, but I'm only using 0-5K (limited by physical hardstops). I did this because I will be using a twist throttle and will only be able to move the throttle through a few degrees with the amount of travel I will get from twisting the grip. The second pot (0-10k) is a governor. I want to be able to limit the top speed for different riders. But you are right, looking at the calculation for total resistance in parallel, I realize this won't work. Good catch. I think I can achieve my goals by making the governor pot a 50K and putting an on/off switch between it and the connection node. When switched on, I'll have two resistors in parallel, but when off, just the one throttle pot acts alone and will allow 100% speed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
1. That is a sepex motor for DCS cart. The EZGO part number (73124G01) is visible in the picture and comes up with this: https://shop.ezgo.com/products/Elect...ol-System.html

So you either need to get a series motor or a sepex controller. A series motor would be simpler to adapt to your project.

2. EZGO used a fixed 5K resistor in parallel to the 0-5k pot to get half speed in reverse. Switching a variable pot in parallel with the 0-5k pot instead of a fixed resistor to create a lower max speed will work.

The thing to be aware of is the the controller will shut down if it sees more than about 7k at the 0-5k throttle input.

Pages 14 through 16 in the controller manual I post have some good info on setting up the pot throttle.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
??? The stud closest to the camera is labeled S2.
The field winding studs on the sepex motors used in DCS drive systems were labeled S1 & S2.

Probably due to the confusion and conflicts caused by that oversight in labeling, when the PDS replaced the DCS, the field winding studs of the sepex motors used in PDS drive system were labeled F1 & F2 and smaller diameter studs were used.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #18
MPS1982
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
1. That is a sepex motor for DCS cart. The EZGO part number (73124G01) is visible in the picture and comes up with this: https://shop.ezgo.com/products/Elect...ol-System.html

So you either need to get a series motor or a sepex controller. A series motor would be simpler to adapt to your project.

2. EZGO used a fixed 5K resistor in parallel to the 0-5k pot to get half speed in reverse. Switching a variable pot in parallel with the 0-5k pot instead of a fixed resistor to create a lower max speed will work.

The thing to be aware of is the the controller will shut down if it sees more than about 7k at the 0-5k throttle input.

Pages 14 through 16 in the controller manual I post have some good info on setting up the pot throttle.

Anybody want to trade a sepex motor for a series motor

Thanks for all your information. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPS1982 View Post
Here's my concept sketch...rough, I know, but still very much in a planning phase.
What speeds are you aiming for?

Are you planning to use pulleys and belts or sprockets and chains to couple motor to drive wheel?
Old 07-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #20
MPS1982
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
What speeds are you aiming for?

Are you planning to use pulleys and belts or sprockets and chains to couple motor to drive wheel?
Target speed is 25mph. I am using sprockets and chain to drive a jack shaft which will have a 2in friction drive roller contacting the tire. I had considered pulleys and belt driving the rear wheel, but the ratio was too difficult to achieve. For reference, my rear wheel is 24in dia.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO