lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Reverse buzzer connections with reversing contactor installation

That jumper wire is the only way to tell the controller You are on reverse, otherwise the "Max Reverse motor Speed" setting has no effect.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2016, 08:00 AM   #12
FireEMT978
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
You can set half speed in the programming of the controller. But that jumper wire was probably faster.

I need to go into mine and set the reverse speed slower and throttle curve if you can, it will about throw you through the windshield in reverse.
While I was looking at it, I couldn't see any other way that the controller "knew" when it was in reverse, with having the lead connected. It appeared as if it would just put power input to the controller, and then the reversing contactor was the only thing that was tied into the "reverse circuit".
FireEMT978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #13
FireEMT978
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That jumper wire is the only way to tell the controller You are on reverse, otherwise the "Max Reverse motor Speed" setting has no effect.
Thanks.
You confirmed my theory.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #14
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hmmm. Wonder why it's not referenced to connect in the manual? I will look ot back over maybe I just missed it.

So Scotty has mine set to 100% reverse power. If I connect the orange wire in said fashion do I automatically go to 50% power? If that's the case what does the control feature control in the programming? What if you want 65% reverse? Maybe I am just missunderstanding?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #15
FireEMT978
Not Yet Wild

Because normally the micro switch in your rotary reverse would send that power to it. But if you put in the reversing contactor set up, it gets disconnected.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you have a reverse speed set to less than 100% the control needs a signal to know when you are in reverse. This signal comes from the direction selection device.

The reversing contactor F&R rocker switch has 2 rows of 3 terminals.
These 2 rows are not connected internally .
That is why the center pin jumper is needed to activate the 2nd row.

There are other ways to connect a reverse signal wire at the contactor activation terminal for instance. But the switch jumper is pretty straight forward.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #17
FireEMT978
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you have a reverse speed set to less than 100% the control needs a signal to know when you are in reverse. This signal comes from the direction selection device.

The reversing contactor F&R rocker switch has 2 rows of 3 terminals.
These 2 rows are not connected internally .
That is why the center pin jumper is needed to activate the 2nd row.

There are other ways to connect a reverse signal wire at the contactor activation terminal for instance. But the switch jumper is pretty straight forward.
The only problem I had with that method, was that it would only apply power to the backup alarm and the Half speed the moment the pedal was pressed.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEMT978 View Post
The only problem I had with that method, was that it would only apply power to the backup alarm and the Half speed the moment the pedal was pressed.
The problem with that was what? That is when the controller powers up
Old 07-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am sure that is a matter of preference, but I agree with the OP, I would like to know the car is on Reverse (by audible indication) before I press on the pedal.

I always thought that it was strange the key switch did not have constant power on some of those Ezgo Series models.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I am sure that is a matter of preference, but I agree with the OP, I would like to know the car is on Reverse (by audible indication) before I press on the pedal.

I always thought that it was strange the key switch did not have constant power on some of those Ezgo Series models.
I think you pointed out at one time (maybe yrs ago now) that by cutting power in neutral the series cart protected the controller. I could be remembering it wrong. But I do know that the control and solenoid do not do well left energized beyond their service duty. I think that is why they are the way they are but I too see the OP's point. I guess there is no harm in leaving the 1/2 speed reverse activated if the control is off?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO