lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
Gerrym
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1987 Western model 200 and 300

Hey everybody, I am new to the forum and want to thank all the folks out there for the information you all share. What a huge help!!!!
I have a 1987 model 300 western. It's the old style resistor. I'm hoping to do a Scottyb transformation this winter.
I was just given a 1987 Western model 200 by a friend who stumbled on it and decided he wanted a newer cart so he gave it to me. Anyway, Before I looked under the seat I gave it to my brother. When we started tinkering around on it the first thing I noticed was it was solid state. Had I known in advance I'd have parted it out and used the solid state on mine. But would not do that now. (I'm the good brother hahaha)
The model 200 looks like it could have possibly been more of a neighborhood cart. It's got a hood with storage and built in taillights. Even a reverse light. My 300 has rear reflectors and and solid hood. It does have headlights, but I'm thinking it was sold as mainly a "golf" cart. The nose on the 200 is slanted (looks like they were trying to loosely imitate a Vette). Mine is squared off and looks like the Flintstones mobile. But, if you look closely there are many more similarities than differences.
Can anyone fill me in on these Westerns? Do you think the solid state was an after market upgrade or did it come with it?
One similar trait that they both share is they really do not like hills. They will barely get up a hill. The model 200 (solid state) has new batteries as of last night and it is great on the flat but also scared of hills. Better than my 300, but still not that great. Any suggestions for helping that issue? We use them mostly for golf, but I like to drive mine 3 miles to my office sometimes. With the old resistor drive I have to take my charger with me and charge while I'm at work. I've heart the solid state will fix that.
Sorry to be long winded. I appreciate any info you can send along. Gerry
Gerrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 Western model 200 and 300

These are the early westerns. All of the Western line was built on Ezgo chassis.
Solid state conversion is possible for the older one. I have done one two for customers yrs ago. If you are serious about conversion to ss you should jump on one of the remaining kits before I run out and begin the long process of re-manufacture.
The 200 model can be upgraded with GE or SR control and both carts can eventually be run on 7/6v batteries which will produce more torque and speed.
Aftermarket high speed motors are also available. These motors can be run on 48v and 6/8v batteries will fit right in either cart if you want to go that route.

Enjoy the carts
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
Gerrym
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Can I do the same conversion to the 300 as you described on the 200? 7/6 volts or 48 volt? I am dying to buy the upgrade, but we are having a bunch of work done on our house and have our son's wedding coming up. As soon as the dust settles from that, I'll be buying from you. If I have to wait until you have more I'm willing to do that. I've read so many great thing about your company and I emailed you a while back and your your quick response made me know you are the go to guy.
Gerrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrym View Post
Can I do the same conversion to the 300 as you described on the 200? 7/6 volts or 48 volt? I am dying to buy the upgrade, but we are having a bunch of work done on our house and have our son's wedding coming up. As soon as the dust settles from that, I'll be buying from you. If I have to wait until you have more I'm willing to do that. I've read so many great thing about your company and I emailed you a while back and your your quick response made me know you are the go to guy.
Yes, these are series drive carts so the motors can run on 36 or 48v with solid state components. The model 200 is the easier one to upgrade. The carts were 'made' in Palm Springs and the Lido Motor company is still your best source for OEM type info and product here > http://lidomotorsusa.com/

Thanks for your support
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO