lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #21
whito123
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2008 RXV with light kit, trying to get brake lights to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Glad it's done!
CGTech, can you offer any tips on how to keep the brake lights working when I add a turn signal kit that uses the factory 9-pin plug? If I unplug the brake temp plug like you showed and plug the new turn signal plug in, the turn signals work perfectly - but I'm not sure what or where to splice in the brake light wires...
whito123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #22
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Factory plug is 8-pin, not 9 (aftermarket systems have 9). The "Grey wire jumper plug" serves to make the brake lights work in the absence of a turn signal head. Plugging in the signal head should keep proper brake light function. (no other mods needed).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #23
whito123
Not Yet Wild

CGTech, thanks for the reply. So here's the dilemma - I have the 9 pin square socket, similar to the one you diagrammed in the pizza box post. I was able to follow your directions and get my brake lights to work with the 24v relay. Now with the turn signal kit I purchased, (https://www.amazon.com/EZGO-Golf-Car..._cd_al_qh_dp_t ), when I connect the turn signal 9pin plug to the 9pin socket that I had the brake light relay connected to, the turn signals work, but I don't have the brake lights working. I don't know how they'd work until I connect the two wires coming off the relay back into the mix... should I simply splice them into the 9pin plug in the same fashion that they were connected prior to installing the turn signal kit?

Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #24
whito123
Not Yet Wild

OK, so I spliced Red#1 (relay pin 30) from the relay into pin #1 on the 9pin connector, and the second wire from the relay (relay pin 87) into pin #2 on the 9 pin (as the pizza box diagram describes). The brake lights now work along with the blinkers.

The only thing not working right now is the brake lights when the right turn signal is on (the right brake light stays on steady, the left turns off). I expect this requires relay pin 87 to also be spliced in to either pin 3 or 4 (or both) on the 9 pin connector (similar to how the pins 2, 3, and 4 were jumped together on the pizza box diagram).

I'll look into that small issue some other day. For now I'm pleased that for the most part the turn signals and brake lights are working as expected...

Thanks again!
Old 12-23-2016, 01:04 AM   #25
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The turn signal head should have only one input from brake light relay. Signal head controls the individual sides brake lamps. (and interrupt the brake lamp signal so the flasher can cause desired lamp to flash)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #26
whito123
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The turn signal head should have only one input from brake light relay. Signal head controls the individual sides brake lamps. (and interrupt the brake lamp signal so the flasher can cause desired lamp to flash)
So then do I need to wire really pin 30 to 12v? Otherwise if I disconnect relay pin 30 there wouldn't be any current coming out of relay pin 87 when the brake pedal is depressed...
Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #27
whito123
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by whito123 View Post
So then do I need to wire really pin 30 to 12v? Otherwise if I disconnect relay pin 30 there wouldn't be any current coming out of relay pin 87 when the brake pedal is depressed...
Actually, I guess you're saying (since pin 30 is being fed 12v from the red wire in the 9 pin harness) that only connect relay pin 87 to one wire in the 9pin harness - as I have now (on pin 2 of the 9 pin socket). Should I try pin 3 or 4? The turn signal kit didn't come with a wiring diagram... ;)
Old 08-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #28
TX RXV
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whito123 View Post
OK, I figured it out. Looked more closely at your pizza box and saw you had the pins numbered. Connected 87 to 2 and voila, I have brake lights!

Thanks again. What a cheap way to get them working...
Ok I’m slow.... I’ve got the red and purple wires under the cup holder with connectors already on them. So all I need to do is hook those 2
Wires to the relay and I’m done?
TX RXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #29
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX RXV View Post
Ok I’m slow.... I’ve got the red and purple wires under the cup holder with connectors already on them. So all I need to do is hook those 2 Wires to the relay and I’m done?
The red and purple wire connect to the relay coil, and the brake light power gets switched by the relay contacts.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purple wires, red
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO