lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2ga. cable?

I recently got a 2013 TXT48. I'm getting ready to install 2 GA cables throughout. Will the larger cables fit under the covers on the controller and solenoid? Maybe just open the cable entrance holes a bit? Thanks.
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2ga. cable?

Don't know about a TXT48, but they wouldn't fit the cover on a PDS controller when I was running a stock 1206MX, so I enlarged the opening a bit.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I got the cables and built and installed today. I did have to open the controller and solenoid covers a bit to clear the cables. Ten seconds with the Dremel and zip bit did the trick.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
pres91
Not Yet Wild

Is the 2ga wire worth it on a stock controller and motor?
pres91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:25 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pres91 View Post
Is the 2ga wire worth it on a stock controller and motor?
The bigger the cables, the less energy is wasted in the cables and used by the motor instead. I always recommend 2 guage cables for the carts with stock controllers that I've reprogrammed for better performance.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:14 AM   #6
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't know if it is just in my head or not, but the cart definitely seems stronger pulling some of the hills here at camp. A couple of the old 6ga cable ends had corroded to the point of being not much bigger than 10ga wire, restricting the current. It was worth it to me.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:43 AM   #7
Sideways
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubles Shooter View Post
I don't know if it is just in my head or not, but the cart definitely seems stronger pulling some of the hills here at camp. A couple of the old 6ga cable ends had corroded to the point of being not much bigger than 10ga wire, restricting the current. It was worth it to me.
Awesome!
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubles Shooter View Post
It is not just in your head, it is a real performance gain.

The copper conductors, in and of, themselves in an good set of 6Ga cables (about 18' in a TXT-48 ) will convert about 71W to heat for every 100A passing through them while a 2Ga set only converts about 28W to heat, so at least an additional 43W is being delivered to the motor for every 100A it is drawing.

If the original cables were in poor condition, you will get an even greater boost in power.

With a series drive cart, a slight speed increase might also be noticed since the voltage now applied to the motor is slightly higher, but PDS, TXT-48 and AC drives are RPM limited by the controller, so no speed increase is likely to be noticed, unless the original cables are so bad the RPM limit isn't being reached.

----------
Being an efficiency nut, my first upgrade was a set of silver soldered 2Ga cables on an otherwise stock PDS cart. The original 4Ga cables looked to be in good condition to my critical eye, but I could feel the difference in the seat of my pants.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 07-05-2018 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: added info
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO