lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
mcamp
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie needs help

I bought a cart last year for use in the woods and so the wife can take the kids to the neighborhood pool. I was told the car had following set up:

Admiral B2 12 1/2 HP motor
Novitas 600 AMP controller - with on the fly programmer
Heavy duty solenoid
Heavy duty wiring harness and cables (did not get the HD cables from controller to motor but more on that shortly)
Trojan T2 batteries
Lifted
All on a 48v EZGO TXT

Now for the fun part, evidently the cables from the controller to the motor were not upgraded so the cables overheated. Original builder did not respond to me so I took it to another cart shop who tried to rebuild the bushings/posts and upgraded the cables. Speed was down considerably but outside of that no noticeable difference. Second time using the cart since the rebuild I was able to go about 2 miles with me and about 150lbs of seed and the problems started. It would only go about 50 - 100 yards before stopping. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and then go again. I felt the cables on top of the motor and there were pretty warm but not burning hot.

Any thoughts on best way forward? Should I get a new motor, if so would stock motor work with this set up or should I go with an upgraded motor?
mcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie needs help

Does anything else overheat? Controller? Solenoid? Motor?
badandyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Speed being low sounds like it's not up to full voltage.

Do you have a volt meter that shows the actual number, not one of the bar-chart style meters?

You may have a bad battery in the mix. What is the voltage of each individual battery?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
mcamp
Not Yet Wild

Honestly haven't checked if solenoid or anything else is overheating, I'll check tonight when I get home.

As far as the batteries, I have a volt meter which shows after resting the batteries are 47.5 out of 48. When they are hot it dropped down into the lower 30's. Have not tested each individual battery but can check that as well tonight.
mcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamp View Post
Honestly haven't checked if solenoid or anything else is overheating, I'll check tonight when I get home.

As far as the batteries, I have a volt meter which shows after resting the batteries are 47.5 out of 48. When they are hot it dropped down into the lower 30's. Have not tested each individual battery but can check that as well tonight.
if these readings are correct. you have a battery issue, or pack issue. I say this because a fully charged 48v pack should read 50.9v. yours are reading 47.5v.....which are at 50% of full charge and truly considered DEAD.

Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What Sir Nuke said.

Also, the reason for the heat is when the voltage drops it needs to pull more amps to get the same watts. But pulling those extra amps results in additional heat.

But yeah, you have a dead battery pack that needs to be addressed.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
admiral b2 motor help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO