lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery voltage under load

Have a 2012 ez go txt , bought used,48 volt full charge reads 51.9 volts.batteries are well maintained pushing 5 year old Trojan t 85 8 volts. What should I see as battery voltage going up steep grades? Batteries show equal voltage within .002 volts when charged, cart runs for several hours before reaching 48 volts at which time I charge them. Guess I ‘m asking at what point do I consider replacing batteries?
Thanks 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Battery voltage under load

As the batteries age you will lose some performance - get more voltage sag. It's time to replace them when they no longer perform adequately for your needs. 5 years is about the normal lifetime for well maintained batteries but some folks get more out of them.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I allow a voltage sag equal to one battery under load. I'm not saying that in your case an 8v lag is good - I'm saying I don't panic until 8.5
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Cart runs for several hours before reaching 48 volts at which time I charge them.
You have had a pretty good run with these batteries so far considering what a lot of us consider a deep discharge charging cycle ... 48 volts is about a 55% depth of discharge.

If your usage pattern allows, you would be better off charging your batteries more often at a lower depth of discharge to maximize the battery life (see attached charts).

At a 55% depth of discharge, the expected life of your batteries is 1000 to 1200 charge cycles.

At a 30% depth of discharge, the expected life of your batteries increases to 2000 to 2050 charge cycles.

Something to consider if your usage pattern allows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trojan - Life cycle-T875.pdf (21.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf US Battery - expected life cycles.pdf (68.6 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:58 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
cart runs for several hours before... I charge them
If you are getting 2 hours with the GO pedal pressed, I think that's pretty darned good with lead acid batts.

Replacement though depends on what you need. If you need to be able to ride 2 miles, hit 16 holes and 2 miles back then when they start getting tired on the way back replace them with higher capacity batteries.

If you ride 2 miles to the inlaws and 2 miles back and don't charge but find after doing this 4 days in a row then its sluggish, I'd tell you to charge it every time you park it and don't replace the batteries yet.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:01 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Cobra.....to actually answer your question...."What should I see as battery voltage going up steep grades?" what you need to know is the MINIMUM Voltage you should allow your pack to get to UNDER LOAD. This is something I learned from the BIG BRAINS here..... You have a 48v pack, within it, there are a total of 24 cells (if you have 6-8v, 4 cells in each battery...or 8-6v batteries 3 cells in each battery), and you shouldn't allow your pack get below, under load, 1.75v/cell. SO for your 48v pack, UNDER LOAD, shouldn't get below 42v.

IF you had a 36v cart, you would only have 18 cells X 1.75V = 31.5V minimum voltage while under load.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Great info guys, batteries when fully charged pack reads 51.9 volts pack charge, each battery reads 8.5 to 8.3 . (Seen voltage drop as low as 45 volts going up steep hills) so it seems batteries are nearing thier end of life.(even know they serve my purpose, I do charge them after every use, be it 10 minutes or 1 hour of use along monitoring water levels that don’t seem to go down. Has onboard charger. If it’s parked it’s plugged into charger.
Since cart is only used several times a year while camping ( wish Icould use it more ) guess I’ll figure on replacing them in the spring as I’ll probably use it for a total of maybe 4 hours the rest of this year then it will sit till April when I start camping again. At that point figure I’ ll do a lead acid replacement since payback on lithium upgrade would not be worth the investment for my use for a few trips/ use’s a year. Comments welcome as usual knowing my intentions for cart.
Thanks or the help😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Carts that are unused a lot hold up better with lithium. No battery maintenance required when parked. Just unplug the pack and they will be ready to go when you return to use it.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:17 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

My 8 6V Trojan T-105's are dated 2012. I bought 'em new and installed them in 2012. Today when I travel up a steep grade, it's not uncommon for the voltage to drop from 51 to 43.

I can assume your maintenance was as well as what I did or your pack would likely be dead at this point. I know that I can get another 6 months (hunting season) out of mine in the colder Pa weather.....but my total travel distance per charge will be well down from a new FL pack.

Check your specific gravity in each battery. That will give you some indication of the life in each battery.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #10
davewil@mc.net
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Actually, 45 volts going up steep hills is pretty darn good.
My cart with 1 month old Interstate batteries drops to 43 volts. But it goes 17 mph up these hills and over 25 mph on flat ground.
davewil@mc.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO