lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Thomasbuilt
Not Yet Wild

Default 3 x 12 volt question and charger

I'm sure this has been answered time and time before, I've looked at a lot of post and post from the past.

I bought a 99 Ezgo golf cart 36 volt with Trojan 105 in it and a Power Wise Charger in mint condition for $400. The previous owner said the batteries would not take a charge anymore. I very positive that he does not know much about golf carts. He bought it for the grand kids. I understand if one cell (battery) goes bad then the powerwise charger may not charge the other cells, and thats what I'm banking on.

I done the epsom salt thing on the two batteries so far, they are reading 6.36-6.38 volts after they have sat off the charger for more than an 2 hours.
I got 4 more batteries togo, cross my fingers,:-)

So here is the question, I just so happen to have two 3 month old brand new deep cycle marine batteries that I pulled from a boat I sold last month. I have charged them 3 times in the last 2 months. So I know they have not been setting much.

I know that 6x6volts batteries are much better, but if I can't restore these batteries, I will be forced to use 3 X 12 volt marine batteries until I can afford a new set. I just want to the cart to drive at least 2 miles on a charge.

I was wondering if all the batteries (3 X 12 Volts) are hooked up in a series totaling 36 volts, can I hook up my Powerwise charger to charge the marine batteries?? If not. I guess I'll have to charge them seperate with my car charger??

Please help me if you have been through this or not. Fyi, My only opition is restore old batteries or use marine batteries for right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GolfCart.jpg (195.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg GolfCartCharger.jpg (185.4 KB, 4 views)
Thomasbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 3 x 12 volt question and charger

If the 3/12s are healthy you will make the trip if the road is flat.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
bobj
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbuilt View Post
I'm sure this has been answered time and time before, I've looked at a lot of post and post from the past.

I bought a 99 Ezgo golf cart 36 volt with Trojan 105 in it and a Power Wise Charger in mint condition for $400. The previous owner said the batteries would not take a charge anymore. I very positive that he does not know much about golf carts. He bought it for the grand kids. I understand if one cell (battery) goes bad then the powerwise charger may not charge the other cells, and thats what I'm banking on.

I done the epsom salt thing on the two batteries so far, they are reading 6.36-6.38 volts after they have sat off the charger for more than an 2 hours.
I got 4 more batteries togo, cross my fingers,:-)

So here is the question, I just so happen to have two 3 month old brand new deep cycle marine batteries that I pulled from a boat I sold last month. I have charged them 3 times in the last 2 months. So I know they have not been setting much.

I know that 6x6volts batteries are much better, but if I can't restore these batteries, I will be forced to use 3 X 12 volt marine batteries until I can afford a new set. I just want to the cart to drive at least 2 miles on a charge.

I was wondering if all the batteries (3 X 12 Volts) are hooked up in a series totaling 36 volts, can I hook up my Powerwise charger to charge the marine batteries?? If not. I guess I'll have to charge them seperate with my car charger??

Please help me if you have been through this or not. Fyi, My only opition is restore old batteries or use marine batteries for right now.
Curiousity, What is the epson salt trick?
bobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you paid $400 for that cart, you did well.

Like scottyb said, the 12 volts will work but you will lose runtime and it will kill them quicker. Been there done that. Just for your info if you choose that route, I took a 2 X8 X 8 ft treated and cut it to fit where the original batteries sat. The 12s can sit on top side by side centered. Just make sure to strap them down somehow because you do not want them moving around.

Oh yeah, Welcome
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj View Post
Curiousity, What is the epson salt trick?
It is a waste of time and salt in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

You can use your powerwise charger for the marine batteries installed in the cart. I'm guessing your range will be 5 miles+.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
Thomasbuilt
Not Yet Wild

Yea I did get a good deal I thought, it came with a split windsheild and soft vinly cover with Zip up doors for the winter, extra brand new wheel and tire. One of the best prices on I've seen in awhile, just want to get it going for a month. and then it's time to tear it down and start fixing it up.

The Epsom salt trick is all over the internet and this website, just go to the search box and type in "epsom salt"

Epsom Salt cost $5.00, 5 gallons of distilled water $5.00; to make sure it runs and works, second opition buy another 12 volt battery to go with my other two 12 volts and try that. Not a waste of time to me. I have more time than money just coming out of christmas. So one day I'll invest in some new trojan batteries.

Hey if the 6 x 6 volts bats don't come back to life, 3 x 12 volts sound good to me, 3-5 miles sounds great on a charge. I bought to just drive around my flat 5 acres for my wife and daughter. Thanks for the confidence in 12volt batteries and using the power wise to hook up to them.

Thanks to all for the quick response and I'll keep my finger cross the batteries come back to life.

I just check on my batteries I have one battery that is 5.93 volts after charged, is that a bad cell or just a weak one?
Thomasbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Another $5 will get you a Hydrometer at the auto parts store... Here is a chart to help you interpret your readings. 6.1 volts is considered empty; time to recharge.... so, the SG readings will tell you more.... read the thread "First Time Charge" lots off good info there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 9 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO