lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: president golf cart charging

dwhale1,

How did you get obuma's golf cart? Ha Ha

Steve
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . this is probably the best response I have found when comparing golf cart batteries to marine batteries . .

"Golf cart batteries and marine batteries are two different creatures. Marine batteries don't care for as much jostling around as you generally do in an RV (or electric car, or golf cart), and they weren't designed for it. So, no matter what the voltage or amp-hourage you've got in a marine battery, it's not well adapted to the environment in which you're asking it to work. They die young. Golf cart batteries are a really tough, sturdy type of deep cycle battery that tolerate deep discharges, fast discharges, and jostling and bouncing around a golf course. Marine batteries are not as tough, and they wear out quicker."
Obviously, the person who wrote this has never ridden in a 24ft center console in the Gulf of Mexico battling 3-5 foot seas. :(

This is a good explanation of the differences. Not my definition, but found online.

Marine Batteries

Batteries that are to be used in boats are usually hybrid batteries, a combination of deep-cycle and starting batteries. Their construction incorporates both thicker plates than traditional starting batteries, but the plates are also porous to produce more cranking amps.

Golf Cart Batteries

Electric golf carts need a steady source of power that lasts for long periods. This is achieved by using deep-cycle batteries that are designed to be 80 percent discharged and then fully recharged repeatedly.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobogez42 View Post
Obviously, the person who wrote this has never ridden in a 24ft center console in the Gulf of Mexico battling 3-5 foot seas. :(

This is a good explanation of the differences. Not my definition, but found online.

Marine Batteries

Batteries that are to be used in boats are usually hybrid batteries, a combination of deep-cycle and starting batteries. Their construction incorporates both thicker plates than traditional starting batteries, but the plates are also porous to produce more cranking amps.

Golf Cart Batteries

Electric golf carts need a steady source of power that lasts for long periods. This is achieved by using deep-cycle batteries that are designed to be 80 percent discharged and then fully recharged repeatedly.
. . . yea, but it sure sounds good . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . yea, but it sure sounds good . . .
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete959 View Post
a deep cycle batt is a deep cycle batt it dont care what it is in run time will be shorter but that should not effect charging cycle like u said i would see if u got a bad batt
You are certainly right about one thing, the bats dont care what they are in.
But I care. I would not put a wet cell bat in my boat because it gets no ventilation and do not want spillage, thus a marine agm battery is the choice for that application. Plus my boat is for wakeboarding so the batteries are constantly getting a charge which helps prevent a deep discharge which shortens battery life.

Also a marine battery has thinner plates and greater surface area to allow greater bursts for dual purpose starting and for running accessories. A golf cart battery has thicker plates and would do poorly as a starting battery as it would not supply the cranking amps.

But anyway, just because the bats dont care does not make it right.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car