lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default My battery meter versus my idiot light?

Ran my batteries pretty good this holiday down at the beach. Never down below 48v even with a hard day on Friday. Couple of good runs up and down the beach - 3-4 miles each way, crawling in traffic and loose sand.

My voltage got close to the 48 mark but then I would sit a while and the voltage seems to come back up. Is that normal? Trying to burn more of the battery before giving in to the charger - I ran up and down the road, back and forth - 2-3+ times. I was wondering at what point the idiot light would come on?

So any ways - I put on charger for 1+ hours while I cooked and ate dinner. Needed to make a run to the trash dumpsters at the campground. I pulled off the charger - I had over 50.5 volts in a short amount of time. Thinking no way I could be that "full". I did notice the idiot light blink telling me that the charge was under 90%. I am thinking it was more correct than the meter.

Maybe you guys can give me some advice on what's right, wrong or what. I know not to run down below 50% as to note shorten the life of the batteries.

Thanks again with all my questions.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
farnzy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: My battery meter versus my idiot light?

When your saying that the battery volts dropped to 48V is this when the cart is in motion or when stopped???
farnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
crash test dummy

i know JohnnieB will chime in and give you the technical stuff .. but in non-geek speak ... you put a charge on them and your meter reads the surface voltage but if you let it sit 12 hrs you get the actual volts
meter is great for watching volts at rest .. it will show lower as you first go then level out as you drive .. then when you stop it will rise as your batteries rest and equalize.. i myself don't like the factory light
Old 07-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnzy View Post
When your saying that the battery volts dropped to 48V is this when the cart is in motion or when stopped???
SOC when stopped. And never below 48v was the other point...and the upper 48s at that.

Last edited by cmalberto; 07-06-2013 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: correction to 48v statement
Old 07-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
i know JohnnieB will chime in and give you the technical stuff .. but in non-geek speak ... you put a charge on them and your meter reads the surface voltage but if you let it sit 12 hrs you get the actual volts
meter is great for watching volts at rest .. it will show lower as you first go then level out as you drive .. then when you stop it will rise as your batteries rest and equalize.. i myself don't like the factory light
Yeah - I was thinking it was reading high for just charging for a short period of time. Misleading to take off on a long trip however.

Thanks for the info - I am sure I will hear from others.

P.S. I have read the all about batteries link - live it/love it!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think the idiot light blinks when the charge cycle is interrupted,...
My meter is dead on unless you have keyswitch resistance in the meter supply? You can take it's readings to the bank.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think the idiot light blinks when the charge cycle is interrupted,...
My meter is dead on unless you have keyswitch resistance in the meter supply? You can take it's readings to the bank.
. . . blinks when charge cycle is 90% or less than complete . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

From the club car manual:

BATTERY WARNING LIGHT
When the vehicle is in operation, the warning light is controlled by the onboard computer.
• Batteries’ voltage drops below 48 volts when there is no load on the batteries (the vehicle is stopped
and there are no accessories on).
• Batteries have discharged to less than 25% of rated capacity.

If the warning light illuminates when the vehicle is operating, there will be enough power remaining to drive the
vehicle for approximately 30 minutes. However, the vehicle should be charged at the first opportunity. If the
warning light illuminates and the vehicle is unable to operate for 30 minutes, have your Club Car distributor/
dealer check the vehicle for a possible battery or electrical system problem.

When the batteries receive an incomplete charge because:
1) the DC power cord is disconnected,
2) AC power to charger is interrupted,
3) automatic charger shut-off occurs after 16 hours of operation, or
4) charger malfunctions, the warning light will indicate as follows:

• The battery warning light will not illuminate if the charge is 90% or more complete. The onboard computer
will retain in memory the amount of charge needed to replenish the batteries and will complete
the charge during the next charge cycle.
• When the charger DC cord is unplugged during a charge cycle, the battery warning light will illuminate
and remain illuminated for 10 seconds if the charge is less than 90% complete but the vehicle has
enough power for 60 minutes of operation. This will alert the fleet operator that the vehicle may be
used, but that it must be charged to completion as soon as possible.
• The battery warning light will repeatedly illuminate for 10 seconds, at 4 second intervals, if the charger
times out at 16 hours and the batteries are not sufficiently charged. This indicates an abnormal charge
cycle. The charger and batteries should be checked by your Club Car distributor/dealer.
• The battery warning light will repeatedly illuminate for 10 seconds, at 4 second intervals, during a
charge cycle (with the DC plug still connected) if AC power to the charger is interrupted. The light will
go out when AC power is restored.
• When paired with version 3.0 or later onboard computers, the battery warning light will flash quickly,
after inserting the DC plug, indicating the charger’s voltage suppressor has failed closed.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:04 AM   #9
PARDEE1
Not Yet Wild

how to wir mcor4in a ds club car
PARDEE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:51 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Welcome to BGW!

It would be wise for you to start a new thread in the Club Car DS section. This thread has nothing to do with your question and will get lost in the shuffle.

Give as much information as you can:
Model Number
Serial number, first four letters/numbers
Upgrades
What type of throttle control you have now
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car