lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Psevins
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring in a relay to activate separate circuit

The title is perhaps overly simple but heres what I have. Ive got a '98 EZgo electric running 36v. The PO added a separate 12v battery for the radio and lights. The issue Id like to solve is this, the cart is for my wife and as it is setup you must remember to turn the 12v accesories off after you've turn the ignition switch off. No big deal but my wife admits she will probably forget often

I've used relays before to accomplish the basic idea BUT never in a multi voltage situation. Can I have say a 36v relay (or solenoid if you prefere) activate a 12v circuit without any voltage bleed. My idea would be to attach this off the ignition switch to send power automatically to the 12v circuit without a secondary switch for that circuit.

Just thinking outloud right now, any thoughts?
Psevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Free Spirit
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wiring in a relay to activate separate circuit

Yes, that will work. Just make sure the coil is designed for the 36v activation circuit. The 12v accessory load on the switch side will be isolated, as long as you wire it correctly. There shouldn't be any voltage leaks.
Free Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well you could just run a 12v inverter off the key switch but then you would be running off the main packs.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Psevins , Welcome to BGW!

A 3-position keyswitch could work very nicely here. It has a second circuit internally that is switched/rated for 12vdc.

Position 1 - ALL circuits OFF
Position 2 - CART control circuit ON
Position 3 - CART control circuit ON, 12vdc circuit ON

Turning off and removing the key would kill EVERYTHING.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Psevins
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! So any solenoid rated for 36v should work correct? Ive only fried one relay in my life and that was the very first one i used 8-)

hmm I think my current keyswitch is just a single but i like what your saying about the 3 positions...I will have to look into that.

I'd rather keep my accessories on the dedicated battery and leave the primaries to move the beast.

I bought it for the wife as a christmas gift and its been parked in the garage ever since (Indiana+winter=no fun) but looking forward to finishing it up for her soon
Old 02-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psevins View Post
Thanks! So any solenoid rated for 36v should work correct? Ive only fried one relay in my life and that was the very first one i used 8-)

hmm I think my current keyswitch is just a single but i like what your saying about the 3 positions...I will have to look into that.

I'd rather keep my accessories on the dedicated battery and leave the primaries to move the beast.
The relay/solenoid used in the above mentioned scenario could be 12vdc rated and powered from the dedicated accessory battery itself. No need for a more expensive 36v unit. Keep in mind there is no voltage on that second circuit inside the 3-position keyswitch unless YOU send it there. It is segregated from the 36v cart control circuit completely.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I like gorno's idea. The 4 pole Ezgo Switch is actually 2 switches in one. The 3 position switch is off/ignition/ignition & accessories. Simple and fool proof as long as the key is off the 12v stuff is off too.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also should note that if this is a series cart, there is not voltage at the switch unless the F&R in in Forward or Backward. I was planning on the same thing with a 12v relay and running a wire back to the neg post of the battery just before the last that has the Pos connection to the controller. Problem was that there was no voltage when not in F or R
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Psevins
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
The relay/solenoid used in the above mentioned scenario could be 12vdc rated and powered from the dedicated accessory battery itself. No need for a more expensive 36v unit. Keep in mind there is no voltage on that second circuit inside the 3-position keyswitch unless YOU send it there. It is segregated from the 36v cart control circuit completely.
After I reread what you wrote that makes perfect sense. I"ll open up the switch next chance I get to take a look at it. Locally the 36v relay was $60...pricey I thought for a relay but such is life. I poked around the wiring today and discovered that the 6 lights on the cart are currently controlled by 2 switches (one original pull style, and one add on toggle) When I start working on it I plan on running the lights off one switch (4 front lights and 2 rear lights). Front ones will be LED when i'm all done.

Also found that the front lights have been grounded to the brush guard! I disconnected that little detail today. Not sure what it does but Ive read thats a big no no.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
Psevins
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
I was pondering this evening, what your saying is place a 12v relay as I would from the 12v battery and run one of the wires from the igniton (the accesory one) to the acutator side of the relay correct?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO