lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Denton
Not Yet Wild

Default 38 volt system

Hello, I found a broken terminal on my 93 EZ-GO Standard series 36volt cart. Has anyone had experience in adding one 8 volt battery to the system without additional mods? I would think that the standard components have a 10% variation without loss of function or meltdown, but my experience is only with 6 volt to 8 volt automotive. I'm guessing that the total fully charged voltage will be less than 40 volts, the remaining (5) 6 volt batteries are probably a couple of years old, or more. I have the new 8 volt on the shelf.

How will the 36 volt charger react?

Many thanks, Denton
Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 38 volt system

Under normal circumstances mixing old and new batteries is a bad idea. The charge requirements are very different for the two. When mixed the new battery cooks while waiting for the old ones to finish up...If you put 5 old 6v and 1 new 8v together my guess is gonna be the that the 8v reaches it's 100% capacity of 8.49 rather quickly. Leaving the 5 old 6v to split up the remainder of the 38.20 or 30v. The charger will cut off somewhere just above the 38v mark.....hope this makes sense...I wouldn't try it. But, WELCOME to BGW!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Denton
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info, Scotty. You didn't mention any adverse effect on the solenoid, etc. due to the slight increase in voltage, so the main disadvantage is in the charging. That's what I suspected, as well. I believe I'll check with the charger company, I believe this one is a "Powerwise" and I'll post the answer I receive.

Thanks very much for the quick reply, this is a great site and a real bonus to any cart owner.

Regards, Denton
Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I would be curious to see what ezgo's opinion is ..... if you can get one?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Hello Denton and Welcome to the forum.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your only increase in voltage will be when you FIRST put the FULLY CHARGED 8 volt battery in for the first time into your previously charged system. Once installed and discharged, your charger is only going to charge the system to the same voltage as it would if you had six 6 volts.

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
bhfear
EZ-GO-N

E-Z-GO

ya im with mike, its only going to charge to 36v not 38v so no point in doing that, and if you throw that 8v fully charged in there who knows youll probably blow the controller but what do i know
bhfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO