lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
cponder
Not Yet Wild

Default GEM Car

Have 2009 GEM e4. Replaced batteries 1 month ago. Did fine until recently.
Now, having some rapid discharge issues. Specifically, will go to full charge to one red bar with turtle after less than a mile. Associated stalling and occasional cracking noise with shorting on and off of LED display. Any thoughts on what issue could be?
cponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: GEM Car

Welcome to BGW!

I am no GEM expert, but every electric cart issue starts with the batteries. Are they being charged correctly? Forget that dashboard bar graph and get readings before, during, and 12 hours after the charger completes its cycle with a digital multimeter.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Did you replace the batteries with the same type? Some GEMs have chargers that will work with gel, agm, and wet batteries. Others have chargers that only work with specific types. Make sure the charging profile is appropriate for the battery type that you installed.

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
cponder
Not Yet Wild

Same gel type batteries. Possibility of over charge?
cponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

It sounds more like the batteries aren't being charged. GEMs are a bit (ok a huge) mystery to me.

The one I have was originally sold to a state university to be a security vehicle. For whatever reason the batteries got discharged low enough that the charger would not charge them. The cart then sat somewhere for 3 years with only 200 miles on the odometer. Eventually some bean counter said to just get rid of it via a government auction. The auction listing basically stated what I just typed above, and it also said "as is, where is, doesn't run". I took a gamble and bought it for a fraction of the amount that was printed on the original window sticker, which was still in the glove box.

It turns out that there is virtually no knowledge base to tap into. The GEM brand has been sold (current owner is Polaris, but I think there were a few different owners). There is no customer support. If you call Polaris you are referred to your local dealer. Dealers range from lawn mower shops, to auto dealerships, to snowmobile dealerships. The one common thread across the dealers is that the GEM product line is not their primary business and they don't seem to know anything about GEMs.

In my case a new $900 on board charger fixed the cart, but that was simply a guess. I rolled the bones and got lucky.

After a few years the cart started behaving strangely with respect to charging. I determined that 2 of the batteries were dead. I bought a new set.

If I were you I'd do my best to try to assess how much charge is being put into the batteries.

Good luck,

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full charge to on bar
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts