lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #101
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: The CLONE engine setup & specs thread

I managed to get the relay on it this weekend, it works perfectly. I mounted it to the gas tank where the ignitor used to be. Grounded the coil and other side to a bolt on the engine, I took the key out and tested to find the switched ground and ground they were both black. The other pair use the breaker and are for the starter. I stuck a long screwdriver down the wire boot/covering and poked a hole, then slid the relay wire back up near the key and tied it into the switched ground wire. Put that back on after a quick test to verify. Cut the red/white wire to the coil and hooked that to activate the relay. Works great.

The carb still acts a little funny I ran it some what it does is if you hammer it from idle or stop it takes off great all the way up. If you drive at say 10mph and step down it starts to miss a little. If you are going faster and the rpm is a little higher then it is fine and takes off when you floor it. Not sure why, other than the midrange carb circuits are not right I assume the emulsion tube. It is worse when cold and a pain when towing. Sometimes you let off and step on it and its fine. Once in a while if you drive slow maybe 5-10mph steady it will miss once in a while, just here and there. It did this worse when the main was larger, it was too rich there. I assume that is running just on the main, the transition to the main jet. Otherwise it runs great all the time. After putting the relay in I set the idle low and it started to hit the compression release so I sped it up just above that. It works good and starts faster now, it still goes really slow the cut sheave helps there. I held the brake and hammered it a couple times, it sure is fun to do burnouts with it lol and when I get the new brakes on it will do that a lot better they hardly hold it.

I have the feeling if it ran a little higher rpm the missing problem would be gone. It misses before it shifts back then misses and keeps on missing. If it does not miss then rpm go higher and off you go. This only happens past half throttle it always runs good under than. I'm tempted to put my clutch on it and see if it changes, because I drilled holes in my weights to lighten them it might rev a little higher. Or I could wind up the secondary more, but you use more gas and it makes more noise at part throttle. We do a fair amount of putting around by houses they don't want noisy things there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #102
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I wired in a kill relay and later the starter stopped working. We use the generator anyway, a couple weeks later the starter is on one day when the cart stops??? Mess with the wires and it stops. I unplugged the solenoid wire not sure what is going on. I shorted the wires on the key to start and nothing happens, key start not working either. The wires are pretty thin maybe one got pulled apart, but not sure why it would come on. It was too hot to mess with. I didn't touch the starter wires in the key box only the kill wires, but that box broke off the motor had to put it back on a different hole, maybe the wires were pinched, will check later. What I could see looked fine.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #103
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I wired in a kill relay and later the starter stopped working. We use the generator anyway, a couple weeks later the starter is on one day when the cart stops??? Mess with the wires and it stops. I unplugged the solenoid wire not sure what is going on. I shorted the wires on the key to start and nothing happens, key start not working either. The wires are pretty thin maybe one got pulled apart, but not sure why it would come on. It was too hot to mess with. I didn't touch the starter wires in the key box only the kill wires, but that box broke off the motor had to put it back on a different hole, maybe the wires were pinched, will check later. What I could see looked fine.
Hmmm,that is awfully wierd that it would do that.I have had my replacement engine for almost a week now.I fired it up on the bench before dropping it in this time.She runs good,but when i first started it she sounded like she was coming apart.
Then after a few seconds of running she smoothed right out.I haven't fired it up again yet as I have been major busy and with the dang heat wave.I do plan to wire in the kill wire for the relay like you have done before I drop the engine in.
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #104
Black Thunder
Not Yet Wild

My clone has been running like a top. Knock on wood! The only thing is it will have a small backfire when going down the hillto the water. We are always going slow in the park.

But man it wants to pull, flies up the hill with 2 people and a stand up. I haven't had to rig the choke up yet. Just takes a little pedal pumping like an old chevy and it fires right up.

I may just run the off switch to the panel so I can kill the engine if needed.
I will have to get some pics of Thunder in action when we go back to the lake.
Black Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #105
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Update...

The relay was easy to wire in and works like a charm. I've had to work strange hours and weekends lately so not had time to mess with it. He has been running it all summer no problems at least.

You could always get a choke actuator off an outboard and rig that up to choke one with a return spring.

I forgot my camera wanted to get more video and picks of it. My G9 is starting to blow just a little oil smoke now I knew it was getting close, if I rev it up in neutral I can just see a little bit of smoke and smell it. Still runs fine. Maybe I can get a clone in it this winter I can't do it with these weird hours I have right now. Had a time getting a part to fix my lawnmower this week just to mow grass lol. He is still talking about putting a 27 kaw in this CC he has, that would be fun if I get back to normal work hours.

I did drive it (the clone) some a while back and I am wondering if I should take the secondary off and wind the spring a little more. That would give a little more rpm at part throttle, it could make it rev a little more when you gas it and avoid the missing it does sometimes. It does not shift fast enough down from a steady speed like it will on takeoff, I think that is why it misses the rpm are too low for full throttle. It should, but with the increased airflow of the large intake that changed it and I can't jet any richer.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #106
Black Thunder
Not Yet Wild

Sho,
where did you get the relay from?
Black Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #107
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Thunder View Post
Sho,
where did you get the relay from?
Amazon, it was waterproof Bosch style and iirc <$3 each, and they have the plugs for them too with wire leads. I'm trying to find those photos of the clone to post here because imagecave is no more and that is why they vanished.

Be careful of that Amazon, their search engine is not the best but they have more things than you think. It is too easy to end up with a big box of stuff from them lol.

Amazon.com: 12 VDC Waterproof Relay: Electronics Amazon.com: 12 VDC Waterproof Relay: Electronics
Old 02-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #108
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Trying to post the photos of the clone that got zapped from page 3. See below

Hope to order another clone soon and start on it in about April is earliest I can get to it, in my cart. But I want to get the engine ahead and do a couple mild mods to it. I might start a thread in the BB section and put a link here when I get on this project that should have been done last year. Promise I will wash my cart if at all possible before the install, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart engine 002 linkage detail.jpg (80.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg cart engine 003 airbox.jpg (170.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg cart engine 010 top f.jpg (155.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg cart engine 012 mount.jpg (168.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #109
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Now this is strange I had a minute so I pulled apart my new HD Lifan 15hp clone to get the head off and what did I find? I found a plate and screw in the flywheel magnet! The issue with these has been the epoxied magnet flies off at 6K rpm and blows up the magneto and housing, that is why they tell you not to go high rpm without a billet flywheel at $200. I'll have to look into this further. I'm going to stay with the stock cam for now anyway and see what I can get out of it, but it might maybe hit 6K I don't know. The other clone there is no way, this one will have cut head/timing advance/better valve springs I figure so far.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #110
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

did you take a picture of it sho? i have reved my predator engine a few rpms. i wonder if i should take it apart and check it. it runs great still.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha