lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #21
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 1982 G1 rebuilt, ran once, now only backfires

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENNAKELLY5 View Post
Ok, so over the weekend I pulled the engine out again to check the rings. The rings are fine, but I did notice that my woodruff key is busted. There was enough gunk in there that the fan and CDI(maybe?) would still spin occasionally, but not consistently. I'm trying to find out if I can buy one in Australia or alternatively machine one from some scrap. Worst case I'll get one from America, but it will just mean a few weeks of waiting.
Also with the timing plate, I marked it's position but this could have been incorrect from a previous owner. Is there a general area where they should be or does it vary a lot? The screws are pretty close to the middle of the slots.
I'm pretty shure you just found your problem.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #22
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

When I modded a G1 I turned it all the way so the forward direction was advanced. It was a little sluggish in reverse but it went faster in forward. I also had the head cut but they can't cut them very far or it gets into the chamber.

Should be able to find a key for something else, maybe a farm supply or tractor dealer.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #23
JENNAKELLY5
Not Yet Wild

Got a box of woodruff keys, and had to shave one down slightly but the end result was the key back in place and CDI/fan back in place. Engine kicked over straight away, revved for a little bit and off i drove. Problem solved.

New problem, now the drive clutch is locked "open" so i have to almost push start the cart. I'm a bit hesitant to undo the clutch bolt as this was previously undoing when the engine would kick over but now it's not. On the other hand, the cart isn't performing as it should. Is there an easy solution for this? Last time i opened it, all the weights felt free and everything was fairly clean.
JENNAKELLY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #24
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Great news about the woodruff key fix Take the clutch apart and aply grease to the sliding sheave bushings.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:24 AM   #25
JENNAKELLY5
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Great news about the woodruff key fix Take the clutch apart and aply grease to the sliding sheave bushings.
Took the clutch apart and applied grease to what i'm assuming is the sliding sheave bushings (the blocks between the weights??) and put it all back together. Kicked it over and took it for a run up and down the street, got home and lifted the seat to inspect. The clutch is jammed on again. When it's not on the crank it moved freely in and out, and the crank is greased where it mounts so i'm struggling to find the problem.

At the end of the day, if i want to drive it i can, it just means i have to push start it every time which is frustrating. Is there any other suggestions to fix this?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #26
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

No, grease the bushings inthe sliding sheave (#5). No grease on the crankshaft!
Attached Images
File Type: gif g1clutch.gif (19.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #27
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Stop "push starting" it. My bro killed the main bearings in my G9 by continuing to do that (even tho i told & showed him how to get it "unstuck"). If the clutch needs work, it needs work, not worth killing the engine to avoid fixing the clutch (then you have 2 problems to fix).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #28
JENNAKELLY5
Not Yet Wild

Took the clutch apart again, cleaned everything up, greased everything that moves. When holding in my hands, the clutch freely moves in and out, when on the crank, the clutch freely moves in and out. Put it all back together kick the cart over, and at low speeds (only just moving, then stopping) the clutch move freely.
Unfortunately after going full speed, the clutch locks on. Any ideas?
Old 06-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #29
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Maybe time for a replacement?
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #30
JENNAKELLY5
Not Yet Wild

Any other suggestions?

Don't want to spend a fortune on a replacement clutch if it is caused by another problem anyway.

Is it possible for the clutch to move too far? I'm thinking maybe the belt is too narrow, causing the clutch to move too far, and then it's opening past the sheaves (maybe not the right term?) and the pressure from the belt is causing the clutch to be out of alignment. If this is feasible, maybe i could put an extra spacer on the spring to limit the movement?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha