lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
BigEd358
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Engine Overheating?

Hi All,

I picked up a Gas 1989 DS and it has an overheating engine issue. When running for a very short period of time (about a minute) the engine gets very hot and will stop running. It's not totally seized, but will slow down until it won't turn over. In fact, once the motor cools down, it will turn over and run again. I took a heat measurement at the head and it was over 350 degrees. I figured there was debris in the jug fins preventing proper cooling so I took off all of the tin coverings to see what was there. I found a good amount of hay stuffed in and around the jug, so I cleaned it out. I also cleaned all of the cooling fins. With the tin's off I ran the motor and the same thing happened.

So, not being a motor guy, what could be causing the problem? If it needs to be rebuilt, is it worth it or should I just look for a good running used motor? Out of all of the golf carts I've owned, I've never had one with a motor issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
BigEd358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Engine Overheating?

Maybe it's running very lean?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
BigEd358
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Found what the problem is. I removed the jug and found that the connecting rod bushings were bound up and wouldn't move freely. Hence the reason when the motor would get hot, it would slowly overheat and stop.

Has anyone had this issue? Just curious if I can just replace the piston, rings and connecting rod and be good to go?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Where are you located Ed?
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
BigEd358
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ballston Lake, NY 12019
Old 06-12-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd358 View Post
Found what the problem is. I removed the jug and found that the connecting rod bushings were bound up and wouldn't move freely. Hence the reason when the motor would get hot, it would slowly overheat and stop.

Has anyone had this issue? Just curious if I can just replace the piston, rings and connecting rod and be good to go?

Thanks!
My cart is overheating, I have a few things to look at and see why it’s over heating. Where are the connecting ride bushings located?
Jamslights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamslights View Post
My cart is overheating, I have a few things to look at and see why it’s over heating. Where are the connecting ride bushings located?
A KF82 flathead motor (the stock motor found in an '89 DS) doesn't have connecting rod bushings (or bearings). The rod just bolts directly to the crankshaft. I'd be interested to know what made the original poster think that was his problem.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
A KF82 flathead motor (the stock motor found in an '89 DS) doesn't have connecting rod bushings (or bearings). The rod just bolts directly to the crankshaft. I'd be interested to know what made the original poster think that was his problem.
I have a 1999 DS gas, would this be the same scenario, meaning does mine have connecting rod bushings?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamslights View Post
I have a 1999 DS gas, would this be the same scenario, meaning does mine have connecting rod bushings?
From 1984-1991 Club Car used the KF82 flathead motor in their gas DS carts, from 1992-up they used FE290s and FE350s. I've not had the FE290 engine apart personally to know if it has bushings or not. I only know that the KF82 does not.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
From 1984-1991 Club Car used the KF82 flathead motor in their gas DS carts, from 1992-up they used FE290s and FE350s. I've not had the FE290 engine apart personally to know if it has bushings or not. I only know that the KF82 does not.
Thank you for the reply.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car