lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Elcoyote
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Got all the cosmetic work done (G2)

I know we did it somewhat backwards, as we now need to work on the rear clutch, and we are going to go ahead and rebuild the engine, but we got all the fun stuff done on the G2.
Work performed:

- Removed old roached out roof and windshield
- 4" Body lift
- 20" Tires (10" Wheels)
- Sanded and rattle can O.D. green paint
- 1" steel tubing rear seat frame (mounted to cart frame)
- New rear seat
- 12" LED light bar, protected with 3" angle iron
- Custom star/ Punisher logo stencil (it was a slow day at the office when I cut that one out)
- steering wheel wrapped with 550 cord (a hell of a lot cheaper than buying an aftermarket steering wheel)

We were going for somewhat of a Willys Jeep look, going to add gun scabbards on the sides of the front rack. After the engine and clutch work, we are planning on fabricating a rear deck, moving the rear bumper back 12", installing the deck, adding a receiver hitch for a corn feeder, and a few other minor mods. What are your thoughts on the progress so far?

Elcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Got all the cosmetic work done (G2)

Nice!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:07 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Looks good. Wish I would have thought of that wheel wrap. Looks a little sagged on the front, consider shimming the springs or new shocks to level it out (I have pretty bad inner tire wear for same reason).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Ditto cgtech!

I like the steering wheel and choice of paint color! Might want some new shocks in front if you are going to load that box on the rack. Front suspension looks a little compressed.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
Elcoyote
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Looks good. Wish I would have thought of that wheel wrap. Looks a little sagged on the front, consider shimming the springs or new shocks to level it out (I have pretty bad inner tire wear for same reason).
Thanks. The wheel wrap was actually pretty fun to do. It was suggested to me by a friend who was formerly USAF Pararescue, he makes those 550 cord bracelets, and came up with that idea. That was my first time to try a 550 project. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, and by my calculations, I can redo it over 20 times before an aftermarket wheel would be cheaper.

Until I get new heavy duty shocks (after the engine rebuild and clutch rebuild), what should I use to shim them? I have an old spring rubber from a NASCAR race, but that only takes care of 1 side , should I just wedge a couple of small rubber bushings into each shock?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
Elcoyote
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Ditto cgtech!

I like the steering wheel and choice of paint color! Might want some new shocks in front if you are going to load that box on the rack. Front suspension looks a little compressed.
Thanks!

30ish year old shocks tend to get a bit compressed. What brand of shocks would you recommend, and where should I buy them? I was thinking about taking one of them down to my local NAPA and see if they have something with similar size, travel, etc. for a small car, at least for the interim until I have the funds for HD shocks all the way around. Thoughts?
Old 12-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

People have made the washers out of a variety of things, even PVC pipe.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Elcoyote
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm having trouble envisioning how to use a piece of pvc as a spacer...
Old 12-09-2015, 07:06 AM   #9
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You have to compress the shock spring and slide a spacer in between the spring and the spring base it sets on. It compresses the spring more and gives you back some of your length which will help with the sag until you can get new shocks.

I've actually been thinking about going with air shocks on my cart to give them a try on my G1.

I do like the steering wheel wrap.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #10
Elcoyote
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post
You have to compress the shock spring and slide a spacer in between the spring and the spring base it sets on. It compresses the spring more and gives you back some of your length which will help with the sag until you can get new shocks.

I've actually been thinking about going with air shocks on my cart to give them a try on my G1.

I do like the steering wheel wrap.
Got it. Thanks. I don't think I will need much of a spring compressor, they don't have a lot of balls, hell, I could probably use one of my C clamps (not advised on 1/2 ton truck shocks by the way... Ask me how I know). I will work on getting that band aid put on the cart so that I can concentrate on the engine and clutch. I had an offer from a friend today to purchase the cart for $2,500.00, but I like it and will keep it for a while, at least until I find another cheap one that I can rebuild. This cart rehab stuff is ALMOST as addictive as my fishing habit.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha