lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
skydaddy
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Yamaha G29 fuel pump losing prime

Ok, here is my problem. I was having a problem when I took off and went about 2 or 3 blocks the cart would die! Noticed the fuel pump not working right away, holding the pedal down and eventually it starts to work and then the cart runs fine, as far as I care to drive it. I bought a new fuel pump and put it on. It still does it!!!! I can choke it and work the pedal and then eventually it will start to pump fuel after a few minutes. And run fine after the pump gets primed. Then let it sit overnight and the pump loses prime and have to go through the whole deal again. Pump isn't working at first when I start it then it dies, then once I get it to pump and run it will run fine. Don't see or notice any leaks in lines? does have a shut off at tank but it is always on. ANY SUGGESTIONS? HELP PLEASE
skydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G29 fuel pump losing prime

2 things come to mind. Take the "pulsar" line off at the fuel pump (it runs along the airbox, under it to a 90 degree fitting on the engine block), blow into it (toward the engine), if you feel any restriction, oil has mixed with moisture (from the ethonal). If so, take off the oil filler cap, cover with a rag and use compressed air to blow all that crap back into the crank case. Change the oil (1 qt only) and you may want to switch to pure synthetic, it does help this problem from reacurring. The 2nd thing, pull the "pick up" tube assy from the tank and check for any deterioation. Sometimes bad fuel can make the rubber tube so soft, it collapses. Good luck.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
skydaddy
Not Yet Wild

I put new hoses and filter on, checked the crankcase to pump line and it is all clear. it only happens on the first start of the day, it runs for about 2 blocks then dies. and the pump isn't picking up fuel, feather the gas pedal and it will start up and run fine. checked it today on lift and on first start the pump isn't pumping and it is brand new? Hoses good, fuel tube seems good, new pump, cleaned carb, it has me baffeled
Old 04-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sometimes, even after 30 years of working on these things, they baffle me. I'm shure I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a reply for you....just hope I remember what I drempt of tommarrow
Old 04-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
skydaddy
Not Yet Wild

I hope so, I love this cart, just want to know why it won't pick fuel up the first start of the day, I don't know what it would be or how to fix it
Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
skydaddy
Not Yet Wild

I know there has to be a reason for this to keep happening, fuel pump not working all the time or maybe as strong as it should. the pulse hose seems to be working, but it doesn't blow out or suck like crazy just enough that you can feel it, but if that were the problem why would it run once the pump started going, wouldn't it never have enough pulse to run it? once it starts pumping it will start everytime, unless you let it sit overnight? come on surely someone else has had this happen and found the cause
Old 04-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
Bob's Cay
Not Yet Wild

I feel your pain. I think I may have same or similar problem. Service tech looked at mine about 10 days ago and removed and cleaned out carb. Did the same thing a few days later and I sprayed some carb cleaner in and it did start. Still will not run with paper air filter in place.

Hope it starts this weekend.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ustrating.html
Bob's Cay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
skydaddy
Not Yet Wild

would there be a carb adjustment that would make it suck from the fuel pump?
Old 04-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
skydaddy
Not Yet Wild

hey, guys do you think that its not losing prime but instead the float in carb is sticking and not letting gas fill the bowl? but It only does it on the first start of the day , and only sometimes and other times I can hop right on and drive away like it never happens, I found that when it dies and I blow into the tank the filter drains straight to carb and she starts right back up. Let me know if anyone else thinks a sticking float might be the issue
Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

That could be the problem. Needle w/clip, part# JN514150-00-00. Make shure the hole it slids in is clean. Install needle and float and pin, turn carb so it's level like in the car and move the float up while blowing into the inlet tube. It should cut off fuel when the float is level with the base of the carb. When the float is released, you should see the needle drop and be able to blow thru the inlet tube.

Tags
fuel pump losing prime
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha