lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #1
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Default DS steering column re-installation -- HELP!

I removed the steering column from my DS and shortened it. I’ve reassembled it and I’m having trouble getting it back in the cart. I’m looking for advice regarding what order to put the parts back together.

The problem that I’m having is that the splined connections on the universal joints are really difficult to get back together.

If you jump to the 4:30 mark in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOM9DiG87h0

it looks like the splines just slip back together. Hahahaha. I wish.

The way I got the column out was to loosen the connection between the 2 universal joints (green arrow on attached diagram). I then removed the 2 long bolts (red arrows on the attached diagram) that hold “the 2-piece bracket” (blue dots on the attached diagram). I then wiggled, pulled, cursed, sweated, and cursed some more until finally I got the column out. (see attached photo).

I then removed “the 2 piece bracket” from the column, I removed the universal joint off the column, disassembled, cut, welded, and re-assembled.

When I put the universal joint back on the steering column is was easy to do because I could line it up and whack it with a mallet. However, now I need to put the 2 universal joints back together and there is no way to get a mallet (or anything else) in there to tap on it, and they don’t just slide together as in the video.

So my question is, should I put both universal joints back in the cart and then put on the column? Or should I take the one off the steering box and put both onto the steering column and then put the whole thing back in the cart? Should “the 2 piece bracket” go back in the cart before the column goes in, or should I bolt “the 2 piece bracket” to the column and then put that sub assembly into the cart?

What is the trick?

Thanks in advance,

TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TAJ DS steering_column.jpg (92.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg steering column.jpg (289.6 KB, 0 views)
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DS steering column re-installation -- HELP!

When I replaced my steering knuckle I too had a problem getting the splines between the lower and upper knuckle to slide together what I did was remove the compression bolt from the lower knuckle and using a wedge spread it open just a little bit then I applied a liberal amount of never seize to the upper knuckle and they slid together easily. then reinstall bolt tighten it all down and it was ready to go.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizbgolf View Post
When I replaced my steering knuckle I too had a problem getting the splines between the lower and upper knuckle to slide together what I did was remove the compression bolt from the lower knuckle and using a wedge spread it open just a little bit then I applied a liberal amount of never seize to the upper knuckle and they slid together easily. then reinstall bolt tighten it all down and it was ready to go.
I already trying spreading with a wedge, but I hadn't tried any lube yet. I'll try that.

Had you removed the whole column like I did, or were you just replacing the knuckle? I.e. do you have any advice regarding the order in which to assemble the "2 piece bracket"?

TJ
Old 07-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

I think the solution is for me to remove the second universal joint. That one is female on both ends, and I can put it in a vice and then use a wedge to widen both sides.

Who woulda thunk this would be the hard part?!?!?!

TJ
Old 07-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

I got it back together. Man that was difficult. You guys who do this for a living need to increase the amount to charge to install steering columns!

TJ
Old 07-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoddjohnson View Post
I got it back together. Man that was difficult. You guys who do this for a living need to increase the amount to charge to install steering columns!

TJ
I agree. The DS can be a pain.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Are we to take from this, that if one is going to shorten a DS column, it would best to do it in place?

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

I don't see how that would be possible. In order to get a solid weld on the rod you need to disassemble to column and that can't be done while it is in the cart.

TJ
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car