lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
Ghstrdr
Not Yet Wild

Default Speed and torque upgrade, but having problems

Ok, so I bought a used 2002 CC DS 36v Vglide with coil resistors. Batteries were old, so bought new ones. Did okay for a time, but speed was dismal and torque was worse (going uphill was a crawl - got beat by 6 yr old on bicycle).

SO, I bought an upgrade. Converted to all solid state. Got rid of resistor coils. Added micro-resistors to the Vglide. Replaced stock solenoid with MJZ400 solenoid (400 amp), added Alltrax SR48500 controller, and replaced motor with high speed/torque motor by EVDrives.

Followed instructions on STQ CC0 36VK speed kit conversion instructions by Buggies Unlimited.

Everything checked out fine after the conversion and install. While on jack stands, tested the throttle. Wheels moved in forward and reverse seemingly slow to faster as you pressed down the throttle pedal. However, noted that on test driving, the cart takes off like a rocket both in forward and reverse. I can feather the throttle pedal in forward and can control acceleration manageably, but in reverse, it's like a neck snapping zero to 25mph! To add to the pain, no reverse buzzer. Note: did not change out the stock F/R switch assembly. It only has an anti-arc micro switch on it. Oh, and the 36v charger no longer charges the cart. Just sits there silent. Not turning on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My solution idea is to change out the F/R switch with a 48v heavy duty one that has three microswitches stacked on it (anti-arc, 1/2 reverse speed, and reverse buzzer). Not sure if that'll work, but can't keep getting whiplash in reverse!
Ghstrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Speed and torque upgrade, but having problems

I think both of your problems are related, make sure the negative wire from the charger receptacle is connected to pack negative.

It looks like they are using a 0-5v throttle setup with the package you have and you are missing the negative side of the throttle.

We have site sponsors that sell the conversion kits, but they use a potentiometer which gives you a much smoother throttle response than just a few steps provided by the resistors.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have you checked the controller settings with your laptop?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

He does not have an Altrax controller, so no simple laptop diagnostic.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

He listed a SR48500 in the parts list.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
He listed a SR48500 in the parts list.
wow, I totally missed that

He mentioned:
Quote:
Followed instructions on STQ CC0 36VK speed kit conversion instructions by Buggies Unlimited.
That setup/diagram is for a 0-5v throttle and they tell You to wire the negative side of the VGlide to the charger receptacle negative socket.

If the charger receptacle negative is not wired to the pack negative, the charger would not activate and the throttle would go to 100% as soon as You step on it.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

"wow, I totally missed that"
Welcome to my speed reading program -lol
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #8
Ghstrdr
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I checked and I have the the charger negative connected to the pack negative terminal already. I only used the Buggies Unlimited instructions because it converted the Vglide with coil resistors to the Vglide with micro-resistors making it a "potentiometer". The Alltrax controller came pre-programmed for a 5k-0 3-wire Club Car throttle. I thought that's what this kit instructions converted my original Vglide into.

So, do you think changing the Alltrax settings for a 0-5v throttle would correct the throttle problem?

I still can't figure out why the charger won't charge. I have the charger neg connected to the pack neg, and the charger positive to pack positive. Also, in the instructions, they wanted the Vglide T3 terminal wire ( so the third contact of the nine terminals along the Vglide contacts) connected to charger negative. So, is this T3 terminal in the Vglide the negative?

Any other advice is appreciated. Would pics of my wiring set up help?

By the way, is there a throttle conversion for Vglide to MCOR? Or would it have to be a Potbox?

ScottyB, my laptop antivirus program keeps telling me that the Alltrax programming software from the Alltrax website is unsafe. Is my Norton antivirus software too sensitive? and the program is actually safe?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #9
Ghstrdr
Not Yet Wild

Also, my Alltrax status light flashes 2 green and 4 red saying that my high throttle is above range. Not sure what to do with this info. Can you tell me if the J4 throttle input on the controller is the high throttle or low throttle input?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can measure the voltage at the charger receptacle sockets to make sure You have 36v, perhaps the fuse at the charger receptacle is blown.

Make sure You have a piece of wire between T2 and T3 so in case your pedal micro switch closes while the wiper is over T2, it will not cause a throttle out of range situation.

The Alltrax J4 is the top of the throttle or T9.

The Alltrax J5 is the throttle wiper or T1.

Are You getting the 7 green LED blinks at power up indicating the 5k-0 3-wire Club Car?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car