lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
jbenny509
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Lacking Torque after Speedy Link

I have a 2004 stock 48V Precedent that I was getting 14-16 mph and then I added a Speedy-Link. Now I can get up to 24 mph on a long flat or slightly downhill road but I have hardly any torque for the uphill road. Any suggestions?
jbenny509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lacking Torque after Speedy Link

Simple comes at a cost.... It can't improve torque, torque comes by way more amps to the motor...

If you want/need more torque your only real answer is to install a larger controller than the 250 amp stock unit.

There are several vendors here such as David Hicks @ Revolution Golf Cars and Scotty B at Carts Unlimited who can steer you in the right direction...

Good batteries help, a big motor helps, big cables and solenoid help too but nothing got me to the top of the hill until I installed a bigger controller...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Teecro is correct. The Speedy Link works the same way as the high speed magnet. It modifies the speed signal from the sensor to the controller. This modified signal keeps the controller from ever reducing power to regulate your speed. The end result is an unrestricted cart. The down side of this is that it's still just a basic golf cart without tons of power to go really fast. There are zero torque gains with this mod.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
jbenny509
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

What controller is recommended then?
Old 11-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny509 View Post
What controller is recommended then?
It depends on what you want the cart to do. The Alltrax XCT controller is an awesome controller. It offers an increase in both speed and torque. It's available in three flavors. 300, 400, and 500 amp. The 300 will work on your cart now without changing anything. The 400 requires a solenoid and a cable upgrade. The 500 requires a solenoid, motor, and cable upgrade. The difference between stock and the 300 Alltrax is pretty substantial. My customers are getting low to mid 20s for speed with a very noticeable increase in torque as well. The ability to maintain speeds while climbing is much better than the stock controller.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
jbenny509
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you TahoeDawg & Teecro. If I switch to a new controller, do I need to remove the Speedy Link of will the Speedy Link still give me more speed?

Thanks again, I'm learning a ton for everyone on this site!
Old 11-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny509 View Post
Thank you TahoeDawg & Teecro. If I switch to a new controller, do I need to remove the Speedy Link of will the Speedy Link still give me more speed?

Thanks again, I'm learning a ton for everyone on this site!
Once you switch to a new controller it will LIKELY not matter either way but it will be a waste as it will not get you any more speed than the controller alone...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Teecro is correct. The new controller would have an option within it's programming software (free on Alltrax website) that would allow you to setup the speed sensor count to a 8 pole or 4 pole design. The controller will perform the same either way, but you need to make sure you have it properly setup for whichever setup you're running. The OEM magnet is an 8 pole, the speedylink cuts the signal in half, so you can set it to 4 pole for the same results. I would remove the speedylink, setup the controller for 8 pole, and plug the speed sensor directly into the wire harness.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you want to maintain that 24mph going uphill as well as on level ground you are going to have to pair that new controller up with a higher HP motor. One that is at least greater than 6 or 7 hp. Until I upgraded my motor all I could expect was 13 mph uphill and 24 on level ground.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car