lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Oceandansar
Not Yet Wild

Default Speed issue

03 club car ds just bought for wife for Mother's Day. Got it home and it only runs 8mph. So I find this forum and hastily determine its the speed sensor so I bought a 30$ Chinese one and didn't fix the problem I also bought a speedy link hoping for more speed.
I re did the speed sensor test and put the old sensor back on. I drove it 30 or so feet got off and pushed it backwards and the brakes came on and the beeper beeped. So now what could it be ? I'm new to carts but been pulling wrenches my entire life . Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
The cart # AQ0342
Oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
shaanar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Speed issue

When you changed the sensor did you change the "donut" magnet too? I have had both independently fail. Although when the magnet was the issue it would sometimes go normal speed and sometimes not. Check the magnet to see if its cracked.
shaanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

I believe the speedy link hooks up in line with your speed sensor doesn't it?
Might that be giving you a false positive reading on your speed sensor test?

If I were you I would get a good quality speed sensor from a site sponsor like Revolution Golf Cars.
I went with a speed magnet instead of the speedy link in my Precedent.
With 23's I can get 22 mph on flat ground.
But I lose a lot of torque on pulls and grades.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Speedy link is worthless without a working speed sensor. Chinese speed sensors are worthless as well.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you are getting the brake force and the beep when pushing the cart, the speed sensor loop may be OK.

The other thing that will cause the half-power "limp mode" is a welded solenoid.

Disconnect the Solenoid big post cable that goes to the Controller B+ terminal and test the resistance between the solenoid big posts.

You should get approximately 470Ω, which is the resistance of the pre-charge resistor.

If you get , replace the solenoid.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #6
Oceandansar
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input I'm going out of town tomorrow and won't be back til Wednesday. I have tried it with and without speedy link same results. I will get an ohm meter and check the selonoid. Hate to just throw parts at it and really don't know anyone around me to take it to .
On the positive the wife loves it and doesn't care how fast it goes she has driven it every day since she got it . I'm bummed cause it was her Mother's Day gift and it's not right.
Oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
shaanar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandansar View Post
Thanks for the input I'm going out of town tomorrow and won't be back til Wednesday. I have tried it with and without speedy link same results. I will get an ohm meter and check the selonoid. Hate to just throw parts at it and really don't know anyone around me to take it to .
On the positive the wife loves it and doesn't care how fast it goes she has driven it every day since she got it . I'm bummed cause it was her Mother's Day gift and it's not right.
We have a rule in our house that gifts given early always come with a "jinx". But seriously this is gonna be an easy fix once you narrow it down. The people on this forum are super nice and helpful. Undo your your curse by buying the parts you need from a sponsor!
shaanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Unicorn
Gone Wild

Club Car

Probably an unlikely reason but I bought a 2003 Club Car DS that someone installed an older motor on. The motor itself made me only go 8-10. Worth a look even if it is a rare occurrence. When I installed the correct motor that it should have come with I hit 14-15mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

OK OK To start with you are new to carts so the first rule you need to know is, before working on anything electric on you cart put Run Tow switch in Tow. Then unhook the main negative and positive battery cables.

Next it could be that your cart could be set to speed code 1. Hope that is the problem.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #10
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

^ Unless your run / tow switch is broken and you just don't worry about it...
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car