lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Default 2000 Yamaha G16 Issue

Today I was driving my G16 and it was running great. I stop, go do some stuff for a little while and hump back on it and it won't start. The fuse in that black panel is good. After opening that black box, checking the fuse and then jumping back on it took right off. Is this a lose connection, solenoid sticking, stop switch .....?

Any thoughts on different things it might be would be awesome.
yler4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2000 Yamaha G16 Issue

Also are there ways of eliminating things without buying the stuff first?
Old 06-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Does it click when pedal pressed? If not, are the 2 small wires on the main solenoid reading when pedal pressed.?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
yler4cy
Gone Wild

The cart is actually my mother in laws so I was not around it after Saturday. Her neighbor came and looked at it, cleaned up all the connections and he said that he could hear a click every time. He then said that he tapped on the starter/generator and it took off. He said it happened a few more times and said every time when he tapped on it it would take off.

With that being said, does that make sense? I thought if the starter generator had a flat spot is when it has issues. I am not opposed to telling her to buy a new starter/generator, but thought I would ask here first.

Also, I have been looking on ebay, and are there certain types of starter/generators that I should look at? it seems like the prices vary from $109 to $170. See links below.

FYI- I took a pic of the tag under the seat. Here is the info: Year: 2000, Model: G16A, Power 7.1 KW, JNG-F4236-40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-...FZFpGX&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-...dWLo-i&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Golf-...FZJ112&vxp=mtr
Old 06-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Pop off the little black rubber cover on the starter generator and look at the brushes they may be worn if they are I'd replease them with oem brushes may cost about the same as new aftermarket starter generator but quality wise this is the way to go if it is the brushes
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
yler4cy
Gone Wild

I really don't want to do that as I have someone that is going to install it themselves. I would rather just buy on that he can unbolt and bolt back in.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Pop off the little black rubber cover on the starter generator and look at the brushes they may be worn if they are I'd replease them with oem brushes may cost about the same as new aftermarket starter generator but quality wise this is the way to go if it is the brushes
Carbon brushes for Yamaha G16s cost less than US$20 a set at Amazons or eBay.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Thanks for the insight guys, however as mentioned some guys is going to install it for my mother in law as I don't live near her. Her town operates on golf carts.

Is everyone convinced it is the starter/generator?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I'm convinced it's the brushes. If you buy a starter generator (to fix a $25 brush problem), get the expensive OEM one. The aftermarket one has given me trouble on several occasions.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #10
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Ok. I may replace the brushes as I have to make a few trips back that way. She will just be without a cart for a week.

Now the question is, is there a good thread/video on how to replace the brushes? I like to think I am mechanically inclined, so hopefully I can do it.

TIA everyone!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha