lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2017, 07:05 AM   #1
droptrd
Not Yet Wild

Default Would bad crank seals affect reeds?

I recently picked an 86 G1. didn't run. Has oil caked over carb and bottom of engine. really bad behind clutch. I have crank seals ordered. The cart will run but I have to shoot carb cleaner and/or ether in the intake to get it going then hook the air cleaner back to it. it will run for a short while, but sputters and bogs. after shutting off for a few minutes, it won't start again. removing the air intake show fuel in the tube. Would this be because of the bad seals? Or do I need to order new reed valves? the compression is 80-90psi.
droptrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Would bad crank seals affect reeds?

80 - 90 psi is too low for these carts. You should be at 120 psi or so give or take a bit. You have a top end rebuild in your future. Personally, I would get that done first then see where you are at with the other stuff.

Yes, bad seals can affect reed performance in that the 2 cycle vacuum system is all connected. At 80-90 psi it probably doesn't matter. That cart isn't going to run well (or at all) if that compression isn't higher.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
droptrd
Not Yet Wild

I was afraid of that
Old 08-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Know what originally caused that 90 psi compression? Those bad seals... And washing out the oil/running on carb cleaner & ether (which has no oil) sure doesn't help either.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
droptrd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Know what originally caused that 90 psi compression? Those bad seals... And washing out the oil/running on carb cleaner & ether (which has no oil) sure doesn't help either.
one shot of carb cleaner won't hurt it.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

For what it's worth, the starter fluid I use has lubrication added to it and has "safe for use in 2 cycle engines" printed right on the can.

Hey GCtech (or anyone for that matter), can you expound on how bad seals affect compression? By no means am I implying that you are incorrect in any way. I have heard the "bad seals = bad compression" thing a few times from a few different people now and I have really never gotten it. I always assumed that compression is piston up and vacuum is piston down and that, assuming the cylinder / rings were good the two really don't impact each other much. When I do a top end and check compression (assuming everything went together right) compression holds steady long after the engine stops. Why would seals impact that? If anything, one could surmise that poor vacuum in the case would help cylinder compression in that there is no vacuum down below trying to suck compression being held up top.

Again, I promse that I am not disagreeing. I am just trying to understand things a bit more.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
For what it's worth, the starter fluid I use has lubrication added to it and has "safe for use in 2 cycle engines" printed right on the can.

Hey GCtech (or anyone for that matter), can you expound on how bad seals affect compression? By no means am I implying that you are incorrect in any way. I have heard the "bad seals = bad compression" thing a few times from a few different people now and I have really never gotten it. I always assumed that compression is piston up and vaccuum is piston down and that, assuming the cylinder / rings were good the two really don't impact each other much. When I do a top end and check compression (assuming everything went together right) compression holds steady long after the engine stops. Why would seals impact that? If anything, one could surmise that poor vacuum in the case would help cylinder compression in that there is no vacuum down below trying to suck compression being held up top.

Again, I promse that I am not disagreeing. I am just trying to understand things a bit more.
Working the Google may have gotten my answer to this: Bad seals do not directly affect compression. They may indirectly affect it as, over the course of time, the lean condition caused by poor seals can cause premature wear and tear on the top end.

Sounds reasonable enough to me. All hail The Google.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
droptrd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Working the Google may have gotten my answer to this: Bad seals do not directly affect compression. They may indirectly affect it as, over the course of time, the lean condition caused by poor seals can cause premature wear and tear on the top end.

Sounds reasonable enough to me. All hail The Google.

Makes sense
Old 08-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Rinnung a 2 stroke with leaky seals lets in air, air that did not pass through the carb to get fuel mixed in it. When unmetered air is allowed in, it creates a lean air/fuel ratio. A lean air/fuel ratio will burn up a 2 cycle engine in very short time. So, when the seal first starts leaking it won't lower compression, but the effects of a lean air/fuel ratio will cause low compression quickly. Ahh, I see Google beat me to it..
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
droptrd
Not Yet Wild

so is this the reason there is fuel in the air cleaner tube, or do I need to replace the reeds?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha