lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #1
Matthewreese
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default My Old G1 won't Start

I have a mid-to late 80s Yamaha G1 2-cycle engine golf cart that suddenly will not start. It's an older model (1985-89) that starts by pulling the choke and turning the key to forward or reverse while depressing the gas pedal. The engine has spark (timing is good), compression, and gets fuel (wet spark plug after cranking), and it also has been rebuilt on the top end (bottom end and bearings and seal are all still good). It has gas and oil. Other than that, the engine does turn over good but will NOT start. Any help or ideas is really appreciated.
Matthewreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
chadrockon1234
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Re: My Old G1 won't Start

hey buddy do you have a spark tester. check and see if its on and off nice a bight. or just change the condenser they are cheap. good old points and condenser.
chadrockon1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

no points and condensers on that ole girl. CDI ignition. I would double check the spark with a tool gapped correctly.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Try new plug and double check compression with a gauge
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Just one guy's opinion but if all of the things you have listed as being good are actually good then, literally, the cart would start as you have all the bases covered. At least one of things that you have listed as being good can't be.

Are you sure you are getting spark? How are you checking it? Just because the motor is being turned by the starter doesn't mean spark is there.

If the plug is wet and if you are sure compression is good then, really, it HAS to fire if the spark is there.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Matthewreese
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Just one guy's opinion but if all of the things you have listed as being good are actually good then, literally, the cart would start as you have all the bases covered. At least one of things that you have listed as being good can't be.

Are you sure you are getting spark? How are you checking it? Just because the motor is being turned by the starter doesn't mean spark is there.

If the plug is wet and if you are sure compression is good then, really, it HAS to fire if the spark is there.
Yes, it does have good spark (brand new ignition coil installed).
Old 08-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
chadrockon1234
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

you could do a leak down test to see if your crank seals are gone. did you test compression with a gauge. you think reed valves could cause the gasses from being pushed to the upper cylinder. also check your air filter 2 strokes are touchy in air/fuel ratio.
chadrockon1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #8
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

Almost sounds like a flooding issue. Might check for weak spark, clogged air filter or intake, fuel mix screw fell out (has happened to me). Any combustion engine will run (however badly) with fuel, air, spark.
BrutalSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrockon1234 View Post
you could do a leak down test to see if your crank seals are gone. did you test compression with a gauge. you think reed valves could cause the gasses from being pushed to the upper cylinder. also check your air filter 2 strokes are touchy in air/fuel ratio.
Agree. If you are sure that spark is there and compression is there then I don't know how it can be anything other than crank seals. Even then, I would think that the cart would still jump every now and then while trying to run.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
Matthewreese
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Try new plug and double check compression with a gauge
Didn't I SAY that I REBUILT the engine (top end) with NEW piston, NEW rings and cylinder.....so there's NO need to check compression because it IS good. It also has a brand-new plug installed.

Tags
2-stroke, g1a, gas, golf cart, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha