lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
Mjpatera
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 Clutch Issues??

Anyone familiar with the the primary clutch on a 2015 G29 cart? I bought one about a month ago and I've been trying to reduce some of the vibration noises it has and I think I've found whats causing some of it. On the primary clutch, I can grab it and pretty easily slide it back and forth on the shaft about a 1/4". Is this normal? If not, what in the clutch is causing it? I have a video but I'm a new forum member so it won't let me post it here but I can PM a link if it would help to see it.

Thanks
Mark
Mjpatera is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2017, 03:39 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 Clutch Issues??

You should start your quest with a new belt. Run away from the aftermarket "regular belts". You need to either stick with the real oem "j55-g6241" belt, or go straight to the double cogged "super heavy duty" belts offered by Plowman's or Gboost. Nothing in between. Trust me on this. I run a "DBYAJ57H" Gboost belt, and wouldn't waste my time with any others. Big tires, or high speed gears, these level of belts are the only way to go. I was "using up" stock Yamaha belt in less than a year, not destroyed, but noticable loss of performance. My cart is lifted, with bigger tires, so my case was worse. I have been running this belt for a few years with no loss in performance, even the OEM belt could only keep me where I "expected it to be for me" for about a year. I work at the dealership, so I have seen it all. Start with a good belt, no "low rate" cheapo belts. OEM yamaha or better, none less. You may have other problems, but without a good belt, you will go nowhere. Can't build a castle on a pile of garbage.. don't worry if I am sales troll, I been at this 10 years (August is 10 years), and I am Yamaha and Ezgo factory service trained.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Mjpatera
Not Yet Wild

My belt appears to be ok but I haven't seen what it looks like new so I went ahead and ordered a new one. What about the clutch movement? Should it slide like that? I can send you a video to see it. The part I'm talking about is the end bell that moves towards the engine as the cart speeds up. Should it have any freeplay movement in it before the springs start to get tension?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
Mjpatera
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the clutch apart today and I guess I didn't fully understand how it operated before I posted this question. There is no spring in the primary side so the only thing that would reduce the movement is when it hits the belt. I've got a new belt ordered so hopefully that will reduce some of the movement and make it a little quieter. Does anyone know the specs of the belt? What the width should be or at what point it would be considered bad?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

2015 carts had some clutch issues that ate drive belts. As stated by CGTECH, the stock bets don't work and they came out with a wider belt , I don't remember the number, but is basically a copy of the Gboost belt, only sold through Yamaha.
Make sure the clutch is not trying to cut the top of the belt off
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most yamaha belts are 1 3/16 wide new, at 1" they need replacement BUT that is for a stock cart and pushing it at that. For any lifted cart you can't run them that far and must replace well before that to not notice problems with performance. I am not positive what size your belt is, should be able to find out on google I would guess. Some newer yamaha had team clutches and problems, but others know much more about them.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Mjpatera
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You should start your quest with a new belt. Run away from the aftermarket "regular belts". You need to either stick with the real oem "j55-g6241" belt, or go straight to the double cogged "super heavy duty" belts offered by Plowman's or Gboost. Nothing in between. Trust me on this. I run a "DBYAJ57H" Gboost belt, and wouldn't waste my time with any others. Big tires, or high speed gears, these level of belts are the only way to go. I was "using up" stock Yamaha belt in less than a year, not destroyed, but noticable loss of performance. My cart is lifted, with bigger tires, so my case was worse. I have been running this belt for a few years with no loss in performance, even the OEM belt could only keep me where I "expected it to be for me" for about a year. I work at the dealership, so I have seen it all. Start with a good belt, no "low rate" cheapo belts. OEM yamaha or better, none less. You may have other problems, but without a good belt, you will go nowhere. Can't build a castle on a pile of garbage.. don't worry if I am sales troll, I been at this 10 years (August is 10 years), and I am Yamaha and Ezgo factory service trained.
Thanks for the suggestions. Just got the new belt on and it made a pretty big difference. Didn't get rid of all the noise but knocked a bunch of it out. It also gave it a lot more bottom end power and smother acceleration. The old belt was 1 1/6" wide compared to 1 1/4" of the new belt. The old belt also appeared to be pretty stretched out too. What is the recommended life of these Gboost belts? For the price, I wouldn't mind changing it twice a year if I had to
Old 08-25-2017, 02:47 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have never seen a Gboost one wear out anywhere near that often, as long as the clutches don't have other major issues. In fact, I can't think of any worn out yet, unless clutch problems were involved.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha