lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
SwampFox
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Aftermarket carburetors

OK guys. The main nozzle in my OEM carb is broken, need a new carb. In going through the threads OEM vs aftermarket there are any number of comments about the aftermarket carbs being junk and stick to OEM.
Unfortunately in none of them do the posters give a specific reason the aftermarket carbs are junk. So I want to know if that is just a opinion, is it based on having used an aftermarket carb, and what exactly is wrong with the carb you used.
Mikuni, who can make a good carb can also make junk, at least design wise. OEM's buy aftermarket, repackage and sell as OEM.
Please don't need statements like China made carbs are no good, tell me why.
What broke, what didn't hold up?
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Aftermarket carburetors

Not specific to cart carbs, but i have found in many instances of Chinese and other copy carbs, the (poor) material the body is made of, weakens and corrodes over time, having said that, the drillings for the jets and fuel/air runs can be contaminated and bits of swarf can be found inside the carbs. So if longevity of life is not too important, get a cheap one and strip it down and clean it out thoroughly and you should be fine for a few years. If longevity of life is your main concern then it's OEM all the way.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Fuel never starts flowing. fuel never stops flowing. None of jets are correct for their "jet size" number (keep that garbage out of your carb parts drawer). Throttle blade will never adjust to full closed position. Just "General poor quality control" stuff. It's not the same part on every one, they just "aren't good".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Personally, I just go ahead and use the Chinese stuff. There is no doubt that they aren't anywhere near the quality of the original. I have already installed a China carb only to have to take it off and throw it away and replace it with another China carb. That being said, assuming you get a good one they work ok. Are they going to last? Probably not. Are you better off rebuilding the OEM? Maybe. Still, those China carbs are literally like 5% of the price of OEM. To me that makes them pretty much disposable. When one goes bad you throw it away and get another one.

Just one guy's 2 cents.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

They are very hit and miss as some run good some don't hardly run at all the quality just isn't there that's why I would rather rebuild oem but in your case this isn't an option so you may get lucky and first one runs good or it might take a couple of trys biggest issue people have is they don't clean them before the toss then on sometimes there is some material still left in passages from the manufacturing process
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Someone brought a g2 to me to fix.It had a new carb on it.It would only run a few seconds.all I had to do was adjust the screws then it ran good.
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Try to find used original and rebuild itmy 2 cents
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #8
SwampFox
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Got the $20 e-bay carb in, checked everything compared it to the oem Mikuni. Had to do a very slight carb adjustment and then the cart ran great. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm a mechanic so maintain my stuff. I also didn't spend $5 for carb gaskets, used outboard gaskets of the same size.
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
Got the $20 e-bay carb in, checked everything compared it to the oem Mikuni. Had to do a very slight carb adjustment and then the cart ran great. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm a mechanic so maintain my stuff. I also didn't spend $5 for carb gaskets, used outboard gaskets of the same size.
I've installed literally dozens of the Chinese carbs for all makes and models, the key is to break them down and clean them thoroughly first, like You said, once shined up and adjusted they generally work just fine.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:26 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some have best luck putting the original jets in the new carb.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha