lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2018, 06:27 AM   #1
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Default Overthinking? Fuse Block(s) and Grounding Block(s)

So this is probably stupid.....

So now that I have a Fuse Block and Grounding Block running to the Secondary Battery for my Stereo an Amplifier.

And I have another fuse block and grounding block going to the main cart battery for other accessories i.e. LEDs and what not.

They all are 10-gangs.

My question....

Now, whenever I want to Add/Remove or just work on anything electrical on the cart do I simply just treat the Fuse and Grounding Blocks as if they where the battery terminals themselves?

So I don't actually have to disconnect the battery main terminal each time?

To add accessories,lights , what not, I just attach pos+ wire to the Fuse Block first and then the Neg- to the Grounding Block and Bammo DONE?

Should/Do I put the actual Fuse in its spot before I connect the Pos+ or right after I connect the pos+ ......?

Just trying to better understand and not fry anything.

Just would like to confirm the proper order/way to do it?

frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Overthinking? Fuse Block(s) and Grounding Block(s)

As far as working on something, the main battery is still grounded to the frame and engine. Specifically what you are doing might dictate removing the battery pos cable. If you are just adding, subtracting, or working on an accessory powered thru the fuse block you could leave the battery as is.

When adding an accessory I tend to connect the ground last, after the positive is connected.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I have a 30a in-line fuse on the 12v to the fuse block.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
As far as working on something, the main battery is still grounded to the frame and engine. Specifically what you are doing might dictate removing the battery pos cable. If you are just adding, subtracting, or working on an accessory powered thru the fuse block you could leave the battery as is.

When adding an accessory I tend to connect the ground last, after the positive is connected.
How about when are you supposed to put each atc fuse in the block? Or does it even matter?
Thanks
Old 04-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I normally hook up the negative last, they tend to spark less, but that is only with live things like jumper cables and boxes. If you have the item turned off it should spark none. You can put the fuse in last, that is best way to do it, then it has no power until you put the fuse in the positive line/supply to it. The important thing is you have the fuse inline compared to not having one. It is better always to leave the fuse out until you are done, if you screw up it will just blow when you put it in. Also leaving it out while you wire you don't risk touching the wire to grounded frame by accident and so on. If you leave it out then you can wire that item without unhooking the battery, that is nice thing about having a fuse block to work with. When you get done pop the fuse in and see what you have.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

i was under the impression with golf carts you never ground to the engine or frame always battery ground.

Rule of thumb on cars and trucks is ground wire comes off first and goes on last.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I normally hook up the negative last, they tend to spark less, but that is only with live things like jumper cables and boxes. If you have the item turned off it should spark none. You can put the fuse in last, that is best way to do it, then it has no power until you put the fuse in the positive line/supply to it. The important thing is you have the fuse inline compared to not having one. It is better always to leave the fuse out until you are done, if you screw up it will just blow when you put it in. Also leaving it out while you wire you don't risk touching the wire to grounded frame by accident and so on. If you leave it out then you can wire that item without unhooking the battery, that is nice thing about having a fuse block to work with. When you get done pop the fuse in and see what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
i was under the impression with golf carts you never ground to the engine or frame always battery ground.

I did. Just wired the ground block to neg terminal.

Rule of thumb on cars and trucks is ground wire comes off first and goes on last.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:01 AM   #8
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Circuit will have no power until you install the fuse do all your wiring and put the fuse in and you are good to go
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post

Most yamaha do not ground the frame, you try to use it and it wont work or it will blow the 10A fuse in the factory wiring. Some have fuse on pos and neg wires. They ground the cradle to run the engine but it has bushings to the frame. So you can ground the frame if you are putting a bunch of stuff on, and wire like a car, ensure you have a *good* ground cable frame to battery that will not fail. Otherwise yes you must ground back to battery!!! Even so its best to leave fuse out to end of wiring, as with about anything 12v automotive. I do when I wire up stereo stuff.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha