lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #11
newtjl
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1991 EZGO won't turn over, running out of options.

Here is a link on adjusting the valves. Its not hard at all. Its a one beer project. It takes me longer to round up my tools (which are basic; a socket or two, a feeler gauge, and a screwdriver) than to actually set the valves. https://www.golfcarthotrod.com/1410/...sh-adjustment/

Please let us know what you find out.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2020, 08:14 AM   #12
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This has pictures. EZGO tech section of this site. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=1196
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #13
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramey View Post
pretty simple .

Check Youtube for EZGO valve adjustment. There are at least 5 videos which show the process step-by-step.

It took me longer to find my old feeler gauge set - than it took to do the job.

BTW - Manual recommends .004 for gap - many of the videos recommend .006. I'm not sure that there is a huge difference with that small amount, but I would recommend testing compression before & after. Your "after" readings should be be above 120 - - preferably above 150..

If after adjustment you are below 120 - then you probably got bigger issues (rings, pistons, etc...)
I appreciate the help, I tuned them up to 0.006 and it's finally running!

The issue now is that when I first start it up, it hits around 11mph, but then very soon after won't go faster than 5-6mph. Any thoughts on that?
BigDaddy325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #14
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much for the help everyone!

I checked compression and was getting <30 on both, and after a tuning was sitting around 165 on both!

Now that I've got it running, it starts up and takes off around 11mph, but very shortly after it slows itself down to 5-6mph. Any takes on what this could be?
Old 05-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #15
newtjl
Gone Wild

It could be just the governor or it could be starving for fuel. The governor is a large spring atop the bell housing of the rear end. To adjust it, you will need two open end wrenches. The spring will have two nuts at the very end of it. One nut tightens the governor and the other nut keeps it in place and tight. You tighten the nut to compress the spring when you want to go faster, loosen it when you want more government. If that doesnt fix it, its likely the carb or the fuel pump. Both are cheap and easy to replace. Crank seals can also cause fuel starvation but you will generally have an oil leak if a seal is blown out or worn out.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #16
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtjl View Post
It could be just the governor or it could be starving for fuel. The governor is a large spring atop the bell housing of the rear end. To adjust it, you will need two open end wrenches. The spring will have two nuts at the very end of it. One nut tightens the governor and the other nut keeps it in place and tight. You tighten the nut to compress the spring when you want to go faster, loosen it when you want more government. If that doesnt fix it, its likely the carb or the fuel pump. Both are cheap and easy to replace. Crank seals can also cause fuel starvation but you will generally have an oil leak if a seal is blown out or worn out.
Good to know! Brand new carb and I've been playing with the governer so no luck. Might need fresh fuel who knows how old this gas is.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO