lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
macgyvr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1993 Club Car spins but won't start

I'll start by saying that I might have two issues going on.

I've had this cart for 10 years. A few years ago the engine was rebuilt. It's be run hard, put away wet, and used. We've had a good time with it.

It started becoming increasingly difficult to start. You hit the gas, and you can hear the starter spinning, but the motor won't start. If you keep trying it will eventually start and run like normal. This has been going on for several months.

Recently, along with the first issue, it's started to run for a few feet and then die. It will do this over and over again only going a few feet at a time.

It will sometimes sound like it's back firing through the carb. You can smell gas.

The first time you run the cart tho, it will run for several minutes just fine, like normal. Eventually it quits and acts up. If you let it sit for a while (over an hour) it will run once fine then have issues.

I have changed the spark plug, no difference. I disconnected what I believed to be the rev limiter, and if it was the right wire, or whatever wire I removed the cart did not change how it ran except if you got it to run, it would continue to run after you let off the gas for a short time.

I have cleaned all the fuel lines out, including the pickup to the gas tank. I tried a different fuel pump and put a new fuel filter on it. None of this changed anything.

I've searched and searched this forum and found a few threads that seem to be similar, but most of them never had the original threat starter come back and advise what resolved the problem.

Later today I will do a better job checking for spark after it quits running correctly.

Short of replacing the coil (which looks like fun...not), I am not sure what else to try.

Any help is appreciated.

mac 'sparky' gyvr
macgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1993 Club Car spins but won't start

The RPM limiter is the black box mounted to the front of the engine, under the cylinder, above the oil drain plug. It sounds like you may have disconnected the kill wire, which goes to the white with black tracer stripe wire that goes past the oil dipstick tube and up the right side of the engine along with the accelerator cable. The correct way to disable the RPM limiter is to disconnect the brown wire that has a eyelet at a mounting bolt of the strap that holds the black box of the limiter in place. On 1996 & older they also had a separate ignitor that can go bad. It mounts to the back side of the plate the limiter mounts to, has a single black wire to it. Kind of a pain to get at so most people leave the old one where it was, extend the wire ( 1/8” spade terminal) and mount the replacement anywhere more convenient- just has to be grounded.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
BobInOK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Been watching YouTube to learn about my new to me 95. A couple mention that spin but not run is 99% of the time a carb or fuel issue. A couple show removing the carb to clean it.
BobInOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
macgyvr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I for sure removed the wrong wire on the front then. I'll remove the other one and check. I am also going to check the carb drain for fuel flow and I'm going go do some hot laps here to get it to quit running and check for spark.

I haven't searched yet, but can the newer coil be adapted to this old style so I can replace the separate igniter in one shot?

mac 'upgrades?' gyvr
Old 07-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
macgyvr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I took a video and put it on YouTube but the site will not let me share the link until i have been a member for 7 seven days.

mac ‘noob’ gyvr
Old 07-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
I haven't searched yet, but can the newer coil be adapted to this old style so I can replace the separate igniter in one shot?

mac 'upgrades?' gyvr
Yes, the newer “all in one” coil can be used. In case you haven’t read it elsewhere here already, do NOT buy an aftermarket coil for these. Only use the Club Car / Kawasaki OE coil. I’ve had too many of the others, even from supposedly reputable golf cart suppliers, die in a week or two. Some never made it out if the shop. I won’t install them anymore.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
macgyvr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Is there a link to sure what needs to be done when installing the newer coil? Or do I just run a new wire from where the old one is located to the new coil?

I have read about only using oem coils...

mac ‘too poor to buy cheap’ gyvr
Old 07-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've found videos of replacing the coil, but not one that really documents leaving out the old ignitor and RPM Limiter. This one is ok, but if you watch it through first you'll see he tried to take a shortcut with small bracket on the drivers side and ended up going back & doing it right anyway. Also he was stupid about buying the cheapest coil he could find on the internet.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DVDVVXX
You can outright remove the RPM Limiter and the plate it mounts to (with the original ignitor on the back). All you need to leave in is the black wire that comes from the spade terminal on the coil, through the fins on the cylinder, and out to connect with that limiter. extend that one black wire to the white with black tracer wire (bullet terminal by the oil dipstick tube) for the ignition kill circuit. That grounds and stops the spark from firing with accelerator pedal up or ignition key switch off.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #9
macgyvr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Did some more testing.

It has compression of 150 and held it for 20 minutes before I became impatient and moved on.

I replaced the fuel pump.

I replaced the carb.

Fuel filter was replaced.

Ground wire tightened. :)

Air filter good.

It about has to be the coil...

mac 'maybe...' gyvr
Old 07-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #10
macgyvr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

put a new oem coil on it today

ran great for 10 minutes

then it quit and there's no spark

mac 'so much for the weekend' gyvr

Tags
spins, sputter, start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car