lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Carryall 2 Still Eating Belts!

I just ordered OEM belt #5 or 6 for this 2001 FE 350 Carryall 2. What's causing this? No matter how tight of a bolt I put in the S/G bracket, the belt will get loose after a couple weeks and slip like crazy. I can tighten it about three times per belt, and then it will break. Is this common on these?

BTW I've replaced the drive clutch and the S/G brushes. The pulleys are in good shape with nothing that should shred a belt.

This thing is really frustrating me!
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #2
buggyAl
Getting Wild

Default Re: Carryall 2 Still Eating Belts!

I have switched the S/G bolts to grade #8 and use nylon insert lock nuts. Not had any problems since.
buggyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:07 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

With the belt off, carefully check the inside of the pulley on the starter/generator for ANY signs of dents, burrs, or anything rough. Do the same with the pulley on the drive clutch. I'm assuming you swapped the pulley on the drive clutch with the old one... I always did.

Any little bit of deformation on either of the pulleys can cause belts to shred.

As for the S/G coming loose, how exactly are you tightening it? You have to loosen both the large mounting bolts along with the tensioner lock bolt in the back side. Put a pry bar on it and genty pry upwards to tension the belt, locking the rear tensioner first. Then crank the 2 large mounting bolts down. I've never had one come loose, especially that often! If you're tensioning it like I describe, can you take a picture of your bolts? possibly someone has replaced them with incorrect ones in the past? Never know what you're going to find with previous ninja owners...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:49 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
With the belt off, carefully check the inside of the pulley on the starter/generator for ANY signs of dents, burrs, or anything rough. Do the same with the pulley on the drive clutch. I'm assuming you swapped the pulley on the drive clutch with the old one... I always did.

Any little bit of deformation on either of the pulleys can cause belts to shred.

As for the S/G coming loose, how exactly are you tightening it? You have to loosen both the large mounting bolts along with the tensioner lock bolt in the back side. Put a pry bar on it and genty pry upwards to tension the belt, locking the rear tensioner first. Then crank the 2 large mounting bolts down. I've never had one come loose, especially that often! If you're tensioning it like I describe, can you take a picture of your bolts? possibly someone has replaced them with incorrect ones in the past? Never know what you're going to find with previous ninja owners...

It’s the drive clutch from you... and the inside of that pulley is pretty bad... didn’t thing the belt went in that far though.

As far as tightening, I’m doing it exactly as you say. I’ve broken so many of the small one that I just put on a grade 8 today- and then the belt broke...
Old 08-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Are they OEM from Club car or OEM “replacement” from somewhere else?

It is possible to overtighten a starter belt, but it’s not easy with these.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:24 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Are they OEM from Club car or OEM “replacement” from somewhere else?

It is possible to overtighten a starter belt, but it’s not easy with these.

They’re (mostly) OEM belts from Revolution golf cars. I’ve tried a lot of different ones. I don’t think it’s overtightened at this point...
Old 08-06-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

After seeing your pics, I think the rusted and pitted pulleys are tearing them up. Once one of the cords inside the belt breaks, it'll flip itself inside out and do all.sorts of crazy stuff. Id bet thats what is happening. I'll dig through my stuff once I have access to it and I should have everything you need
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #8
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
After seeing your pics, I think the rusted and pitted pulleys are tearing them up. Once one of the cords inside the belt breaks, it'll flip itself inside out and do all.sorts of crazy stuff. Id bet thats what is happening. I'll dig through my stuff once I have access to it and I should have everything you need

Thank you!
Old 08-06-2020, 08:19 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Is the starter generator lined up properly with the clutch pulley? If it was removed, it is possible to install it on the wrong side of the mount bracket, which would knock the belt alignment off by about 1/2” and it will eat belts that way.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
goliwagmo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What does that mean, exactly? My FE290 has shredded 2 belts in a month. Both pulleys look and feel clean and smooth, but it does appear to me that the two pulleys don't line up with each other. How is that possible? What should I be looking for? When I first got the cart, the starter belt was fine for about a year before it shredded. BTW, I've also had to replace the drive belt within the past few months. Could it be that the whole engine has shifted somehow and nothing is lining up?
goliwagmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car