lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 97 EZGO no compression - advice?

Well, we got the electrical issue solved and the motor went back to just turning over. Not starting. We checked fuel (good), Spark (good), and then compression. (bad 30/50 psi)
From the condition of the airbox and carb, it looks like it sucked in a lot of dust from the airbox and ruined the cylinder walls/ rings.

I only paid $500 for the cart, $50 to tune it up, and $100 for a battery. I think I could get that back out of it with the way it sits.

I called my local shop, they want about $1,500 to rebuild it.

Pulling the motor doesn't seem too hard, but I can't find a good, complete, replacement motor (main issue is with replacing the clutch)

any links or advice?

thanks again...
Cmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 97 EZGO no compression - advice?

have you tried adjusting the valves? You'd be surprised how many projects I've bought with no compression that had valve issues, or many times just need an adjustment.

Pay attention to the 2 vakves in the middle for the intake. They are common to sink into the head. If you see a lot of threads above the lock nut on the rocker adjuster compared to the exhaust valves, they're sunk and need to be replaced.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
have you tried adjusting the valves? You'd be surprised how many projects I've bought with no compression that had valve issues, or many times just need an adjustment.

Pay attention to the 2 vakves in the middle for the intake. They are common to sink into the head. If you see a lot of threads above the lock nut on the rocker adjuster compared to the exhaust valves, they're sunk and need to be replaced.
NAILED IT!

THANK YOU! I was going to check this to be sure, but I did it right away and it fixed it.

Thank you!
Old 08-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:

when I first got the cart back in early may we did a compression test on the motor and we had a 140/145 PSI on both cylinders. we've only probably driven the cart a total of 5 hours since. Any ideas on how it got so far out of wack so quickly?
Old 08-12-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:

I adjusted it, but it was sunk. What needs replaced?
Old 08-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney View Post
when I first got the cart back in early may we did a compression test on the motor and we had a 140/145 PSI on both cylinders. we've only probably driven the cart a total of 5 hours since. Any ideas on how it got so far out of wack so quickly?
Two intake valves, valve seals, seal at end of head, head gasket. Maybe gasket where plate bolts on rear of head but you can judge that. I normally don't replace it but if it tears you will have to.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What trig said. Except the gasket on the plate covering the camshaft, every time I've tried to reuse one its leaked lol. Maybe I'm just lucky...

You lost ckmpression so quickly because they're worn and sunk in. You may get a few more hours use but they'll sink in again more and put you back here again. Id just replace them, theyre not bad to do at all.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
What trig said. Except the gasket on the plate covering the camshaft, every time I've tried to reuse one its leaked lol. Maybe I'm just lucky...

You lost ckmpression so quickly because they're worn and sunk in. You may get a few more hours use but they'll sink in again more and put you back here again. Id just replace them, theyre not bad to do at all.
I'm going to. Thank you for the advice.

I'm going to try and get a few more hours out of it and do the valves this winter.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney View Post
I'm going to. Thank you for the advice.

I'm going to try and get a few more hours out of it and do the valves this winter.
I would be ordering the parts now because it may take until the winter to get them. If its not the mail issue right now then its places being out of stock on things. Worst I have ever seen when trying to get parts. I think everyone decided to buy parts on the same day lol I ordered some lights 4 weeks ago. According to tracking from USPS it is stuck in Atlanta. Pay now, get parts much later
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #10
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Two intake valves, valve seals, seal at end of head, head gasket. Maybe gasket where plate bolts on rear of head but you can judge that. I normally don't replace it but if it tears you will have to.
I am getting around to this project now.
I'm looking at this kit from Ebay for the valves:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18298883480...iABEgKCC_D_BwE

this head gasket:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...HQ166TTZ&psc=1

any tips on where to get the other gaskets? Names of the gaskets?
thanks again.
C
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO