lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
Hotshot
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car to EZGO Engine Swap

Hello Everyone.

The engine from my gas 1997 EZGO TXT blew and i have a line on an engine from a Club Car at an incredible price. Does anyone know if that engine will be able to mount and work with the EZGO? I do not know what year/model Club Car the engine is from (yet).

Any help would be fantastic! Thanks!
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Club Car to EZGO Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Hello Everyone.

The engine from my gas 1997 EZGO TXT blew and i have a line on an engine from a Club Car at an incredible price. Does anyone know if that engine will be able to mount and work with the EZGO? I do not know what year/model Club Car the engine is from (yet).

A person could make anything work but if it were me and you wanted an honest answer then I would say no.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

It would require LOTS of fabrication. Remember on that EZGO the original engine block is a structural part of the drivetrain cradle. If the engine is from a 97 or newer Club Car it spins the wrong direction anyway.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #4
Hotshot
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the replies! Anyone know the best place to get a new/rebuilt engine at a reasonable price? I am in Canada.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Some here swear by Cindy at Motors & More in Georgia.

http://www.motorsandmore.biz/
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Hello Everyone.

When you say it blew, do you mean threw a rod through the crank case? If not totally destroyed, and only internal damage like a broken rod, or failed seals, might be worth rebuilding the engine. If there is a hole in the case, might even be able to find a person to weld it back...just depends on where the hole is and what is broken. I've had it done on a cast, aluminum, wet clutch cover on an old motorcycle that I laid down back in college. Also had a cast iron boat block welded after I forgot to remove water from the engine before winter. Neither was pretty, but both worked. Not sure about a cast aluminum engine block...but you won't know till you try.

I am in the process of rebuilding the same motoer that had a broken rod. Its really not that difficult, doesn't take a lot of specialized tools, and the rebuild kit is around $350. The manual, available on here somewhere for free is very good at walking you through every step...well, most steps, in detail. The kit comes with all seals, gaskets, two pistons, two rods, and all the valves. Most specialty tools are available on loan from auto parts stores if you ask. By the time you buy a motor from a rebuild shop, you will have between $700 and $800 in the motor, and they only replace broken or out of spec parts, so you will end up with motor internals that underwent whatever stress caused the engine to fail in the first place. If you rebuild it, you know what is new and what is not, you will have a better understanding of how it all works, and how to repair it going forward. Its a worthwhile experience for the education of it, if not for the fact that it will cost you half as much as buying a "Refurbished" motor with an unknown history. If you can take a motor out of one of these carts, you can rebuild the engine. Carb work, well that's black magic hokus pokus stuff, but engines themselves are pretty simple mechanical pieces.

Just a thought.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #7
newtjl
Gone Wild

Thumbs up Re: Club Car to EZGO Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
When you say it blew, do you mean threw a rod through the crank case? If not totally destroyed, and only internal damage like a broken rod, or failed seals, might be worth rebuilding the engine. If there is a hole in the case, might even be able to find a person to weld it back...just depends on where the hole is and what is broken. I've had it done on a cast, aluminum, wet clutch cover on an old motorcycle that I laid down back in college. Also had a cast iron boat block welded after I forgot to remove water from the engine before winter. Neither was pretty, but both worked. Not sure about a cast aluminum engine block...but you won't know till you try.

I am in the process of rebuilding the same motoer that had a broken rod. Its really not that difficult, doesn't take a lot of specialized tools, and the rebuild kit is around $350. The manual, available on here somewhere for free is very good at walking you through every step...well, most steps, in detail. The kit comes with all seals, gaskets, two pistons, two rods, and all the valves. Most specialty tools are available on loan from auto parts stores if you ask. By the time you buy a motor from a rebuild shop, you will have between $700 and $800 in the motor, and they only replace broken or out of spec parts, so you will end up with motor internals that underwent whatever stress caused the engine to fail in the first place. If you rebuild it, you know what is new and what is not, you will have a better understanding of how it all works, and how to repair it going forward. Its a worthwhile experience for the education of it, if not for the fact that it will cost you half as much as buying a "Refurbished" motor with an unknown history. If you can take a motor out of one of these carts, you can rebuild the engine. Carb work, well that's black magic hokus pokus stuff, but engines themselves are pretty simple mechanical pieces.

Just a thought.
Totally agree. You will find it to be very simple and rewarding to rebuild yourself. After rebuilding one, its no longer a pandoras box. I have never looked at a gas engine the same way after rebuilding one.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO