lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2021, 09:42 PM   #1
Terpskeet13
Not Yet Wild

Default BACKFIRING New to me EZGO TXT Fleet 2014

Greetings!

Long time listener, first time caller here.

Purchased a used, lifted 2014 fleet TXT. Seems to run well (gets up to 23mph) except for the backfire that happens when coming to a quick stop. I went through a series of different tests to try and pinpoint what the issue may be before I came here to write up the gripe.

When coming from WOT to a complete stop using the brake, it will backfire one VERY loud POP approaching the stop.

When coming from WOT and decelerating via engine braking, it will backfire one VERY loud POP approaching the stop.

When coming from WOT to a complete stop using the brake, if I quickly press and release the gas pedal before stopping, it does not backfire.

When coming from WOT and decelerating via engine braking, if I quickly press and release the gas pedal before stopping, it does not backfire.

Given these few tests, where should I look next? It's sucH a loud and violent bang that the neighbors are taking issue with it.

Thanks in advance
Terpskeet13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #2
Terpskeet13
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New to me EZGO TXT Fleet 2014

Pics for attention
Terpskeet13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: BACKFIRING New to me EZGO TXT Fleet 2014

Look closely at the carb butterfly. I’d be willing to bet it is not closing all the way. There’s a screw that contacts the throttle plate on the top of the carb. Make sure it is loose. Honestly you can probably just remove it and throw it in the trash. The only time you would ever need that is to set the idle speed if you were to make it idle instead of shutting off when you release the pedal.

Other possibility something is making the throttle cable going to the carb hang up and hold it open slightly. Could be adjusted wrong, routed incorrectly, or just a tight/bad cable itself.

When you release the pedal, it kills spark. As long as the carb closes all the way you’re good. However, if it hangs open a bit then it will continue to draw in fuel as you come to a stop, with no spark to ignite it. This is what causes the bang your neighbors love :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:49 PM   #4
SOUTHVIEW
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: BACKFIRING New to me EZGO TXT Fleet 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Look closely at the carb butterfly. I’d be willing to bet it is not closing all the way. There’s a screw that contacts the throttle plate on the top of the carb. Make sure it is loose. Honestly you can probably just remove it and throw it in the trash. The only time you would ever need that is to set the idle speed if you were to make it idle instead of shutting off when you release the pedal.

Other possibility something is making the throttle cable going to the carb hang up and hold it open slightly. Could be adjusted wrong, routed incorrectly, or just a tight/bad cable itself.

When you release the pedal, it kills spark. As long as the carb closes all the way you’re good. However, if it hangs open a bit then it will continue to draw in fuel as you come to a stop, with no spark to ignite it. This is what causes the bang your neighbors love :)
Agree. ☝️ Seeing that you are running 23mph tells me the throttle cable has been adjusted. Just needs a little fine tuning.
SOUTHVIEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO