lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #11
Tfastle@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: MPT 1200, Cruise Speed - Larger Wheels or Cluthes? To Lift or not to lift?

I did as you suggested JPon and indeed it is a 28.

Yes, "the angle" is the ramp angles on the inner sheave and helix cam (I'm guessing that's not news to any of you). I did some reading on them and to my surprise I couldn't find a lot that explained it well. But I think I get it reasonably well now. I gather the combination between the spring rate and the ramp angles impacts gearing - lesser angle and stronger spring equal more torque, less speed and vice versa. The lesser angle spreads the sheaves more slowly keeping the belt higher for longer, like keeping a 10 speed on the larger rear gears for longer and giving more torque but also more revs (or much faster peddling). With a steeper ramp the sheaves spread apart more quickly allowing the belt to move down between the sheaves more rapidly and thus to a higher "gear ratio" like a 10 speed moving to the lower sprockets on the rear. All of this, of course, does interface with what the primary clutch is doing as they clearly work together. At least that's what it seems like to me. With that in mind, I actually think a 36 degree secondary might be worth trying to get a more "cruise speed" feel to the ol MPT as Slonomo suggested above. These clutches, really a transmission, are a pretty amazing set up.
If/when I end up trying the 36 I will certainly reply back here and report what the effect is.

Does anyone have a used one they want to sell? (36 deg driven)

I have to admit, lifting it 4" with some nice wheels and larger tires is awfully tempting too. Trig's rig looks awfully sweet!!!
Tfastle@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: MPT 1200, Cruise Speed - Larger Wheels or Cluthes? To Lift or not to lift?

My 99 1200 is the old style suspension and with hd springs and a 4” drop axle I can make the front 22” tires scrub. My 08 1200 has a 4” drop with 23” and is fine.. For what it is worth..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #13
Tfastle@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Thanks kgsc, that is helpful! Mine is an 07 MCI, I gather one of the last to get the Robin engine so I would assume it has the "newer style" suspension and would be good like your '08.

Did you acquire them lifted and with the larger wheels/tires or did you do that after you got them? If you added the lift and larger tires, I am curious, how do they pull and cruise with the 22" and 23" wheels? Do they still pull relatively well or are they a bit gutless on medium inclines? Was the increase in speed quite noticeable and did they seem to "cruise" better (less rev but still pull ok) at a higher speed? Stock engines?

And the really important question, do the ladies find you much more desirable with the larger wheels and tires?
Old 03-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My 08 is the one in my avatar.. it started life as a refresher cart like trigs then someone dropped something on it and cracked the frame on the driver’s side. Some beating, more steel and some welding that was fixed. Pulled the stainless cooler of the back and replaced it with the plastic bed, lifted it, had to swap brakes from side to side so the cables would clear, camo wrap, ST cowl and brush guard plus Ezgo diamond wheels with 23” kenda tires. Pulls well. We use it to drag trailers all over the place and to put small boats in the water. Speed is low 20s but fast enough for what I use it for. Women love it
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #15
Tfastle@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

My understanding is the governor is designed for a top speed of about 15mph. Was that how yours was and did you get the additional speed into the low 20s from the larger wheels and tires? Or did you do something else? I am not looking for a ton of speed but want it to cruise nicely, upper teens without having to rev so much, hence why I am looking at the driven clutch as well.

Also, I have been confused when some are referred to as a "refresher cart" but I gather, since you mentioned removing the stainless cooler that a refresher cart is for serving refreshments out of - basically an MPT but set up to serve refreshments?

Your setup seems great ... especially the women loving it - always a good thing!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO