lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
kde
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Throttle / Backfire — help

Hi, I took a video, but having trouble trying to upload.
When cart is in neutral, I press on the peddle all the way down — throttle spring moves back and forth in rhythm as cart adjusts power (peddle is fully pressed and held — not lifted and pressed). Also, cart is backfiring often. I’ve watched videos and adjusted throttle cable (removed slack to gain power), but haven’t seemed to find the solution to the backfire. Gas doesn’t appear to be getting into the oil — I’ve lit the dipstick with lighter and nothing burned. Seems that most of backfires are in the “air” (air intake or muffler).

Help please…
kde is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: RXV Throttle / Backfire — help

If the cable is too tight it won’t let the throttle plate close completely so you get extra fuel that then hits a hot muffler. Pedal should move a little before the plate moves..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
kde
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
If the cable is too tight it won’t let the throttle plate close completely so you get extra fuel that then hits a hot muffler. Pedal should move a little before the plate moves..
Thanks -- Loosened the cable a bit and now have a smoother "take off".

I still have a backfire (either pops in the muffler or sometimes feel air hit my leg coming from the choke pull plug).

Also, noticing that the backfire is more pronounced after I run wide open throttle, then let the cart come to a stop, and then start again. If I don't run open throttle... the backfire may not happen or minimal push of air.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You may need to adjust the idle screw so the throttle plate closes COMPLETELY.

When you run the motor and then coast to a stop, the engine is still turning. But spark is disabled because you release the pedal. When the throttle plate is closed, all is well. But if the throttle plate is left open, even just a crack, the motor will still suck in fuel from the carb. It just has no way to ignite it because spark is “off”. Then when you try to go again, it ignites whatever has pooled in there when you coast to a stop, and bang!

Make 100% certain the throttle plate is COMPLETEY closed before dickering with anything else.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #5
kde
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
You may need to adjust the idle screw so the throttle plate closes COMPLETELY.

When you run the motor and then coast to a stop, the engine is still turning. But spark is disabled because you release the pedal. When the throttle plate is closed, all is well. But if the throttle plate is left open, even just a crack, the motor will still suck in fuel from the carb. It just has no way to ignite it because spark is “off”. Then when you try to go again, it ignites whatever has pooled in there when you coast to a stop, and bang!

Make 100% certain the throttle plate is COMPLETEY closed before dickering with anything else.
Adjusted the idle screw and backfires appear to be mostly mitigated. Every now and then I still get a “puff” sound when lightly pressing throttle pedal, but not a louder backfire.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO