lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2022, 03:33 PM   #1
mckaymotoworks
Not Yet Wild

Default G3 w/215 is surging on flat ground, steady speed uphill

G3 w/215 is surging on flat ground, steady speed uphill, float height I assume? Dies, I let off throttle, throttle, fires back up, rinse/repeat. Also, when I throttle hard around a turn it goes well until it straightens out so definitely acts like a float height issue.

I plan to take apart and clean as I am sure it's filthy from sitting after being put away wet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 288493624_734044041172117_2044576267646370628_n.jpg (171.1 KB, 0 views)
mckaymotoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2022, 08:48 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G3 w/215 is surging on flat ground, steady speed uphill

That's the first place I'd look. I would take carb off, clean the outside really good, take bowl off, clean, set the float per factory specs in manual. Also, while the carb is open, I would remove the jets and clean them as well. I use small copper wires for the tiny jets.

One other thing on these is the fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank. They have a tendency to crack and leak fuel pressure. You can pull that out and inspect it. On past carts I have replaced it with 3/8 fuel hose, I usually make it long enough to lay on the bottom of the fuel tank.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:50 PM   #3
mckaymotoworks
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
That's the first place I'd look. I would take carb off, clean the outside really good, take bowl off, clean, set the float per factory specs in manual. Also, while the carb is open, I would remove the jets and clean them as well. I use small copper wires for the tiny jets.

One other thing on these is the fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank. They have a tendency to crack and leak fuel pressure. You can pull that out and inspect it. On past carts I have replaced it with 3/8 fuel hose, I usually make it long enough to lay on the bottom of the fuel tank.
Great suggestion, thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:30 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I should clarify:

If your suction tube in the tank is cracked or broken, it won't leak fuel pressure, it will leak suction and fuel won't pull throught the system by the pump. Same scenario if you dry to drink from a cracked/bent soda straw.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:09 PM   #5
mckaymotoworks
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I should clarify:

If your suction tube in the tank is cracked or broken, it won't leak fuel pressure, it will leak suction and fuel won't pull through the system by the pump. Same scenario if you dry to drink from a cracked/bent soda straw.
I get what you're putting down. I checked and it appears to be crack free but may replace anyway after I do new proper spec plug, remove/clean carb, set float height.

Gave a ride to some friends, back seat/rear end was loaded down, actually ran better as far as constant speed and continuing to run. So float height is definitely suspect.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:25 PM   #6
mckaymotoworks
Not Yet Wild

Cleaned the carb well. At first ran like a scalded cat but wanted the choke, once it warmed up a little, same surging although not as bad. I tried again with choke to see if it ran better, was hit or miss.

May as well replace the seals since their condition/replacement is unknown.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:22 PM   #7
mckaymotoworks
Not Yet Wild

I've cleaned the OEM Mikuni carb, soaked disassembled for an hour, blew out every orifice with compressed air. Did not touch the float (ran decent before any of this, just bogged down at higher speeds), wanted to run on choke.

Baked/cleaned muffler, clear, still wanted choke.

Replaced seals, still wants choke. What am I missing? Intake boot looks intact.

Update: carb joint boot has crack/leak behind clamp. Ordered a new one and a reed cage gasket.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:10 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

what is the mixture screw set at?

have you checked the throttle shaft for wear?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:26 PM   #9
mckaymotoworks
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
what is the mixture screw set at?

have you checked the throttle shaft for wear?
Per spec. Nasty boot split behind the clamp that secures carb to/inside boot joint, new one being delivered tomorrow along with reed cage gasket.

No play on shaft atop carb. Ran decent/better before I performed all the maintenance chasing top end cut out issue. My assumption is with all the caked on grim, and the boot not being touched until I removed the carb for a through cleaning, I exacerbated the tear on the boot. Regardless, all belts etc were OEM and appeared original as Mitsuboshi, so was past time for maintenance of belts, seals etc.

The engine is all original with all OEM components, once cleaned, looks brand new and very surprised it's made it this many years without someone bodging the components "fixing" or "improving" them along the way.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:01 PM   #10
mckaymotoworks
Not Yet Wild

Checked carb again, fully functional, checked pump, clean as a whistle pumping as it should. Still wants choke to run it's best, backfiring on deceleration.

120 PSI compression, I have cleaned everything I can think of.

Tags
215, two stroke, yamaha g3
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha