lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Question Would or could this work for a clockwise motor swap?

Well I was talking to a guy, that does small engine repairs for my work, about our clockwise swap issues and he said this may work. He said when you face the shaft on this style motor that have a front & rear ouput shaft, the front shaft turns clockwise. He didnt have one I could take a pic of so I was looking online for a pic and found this one. Well if the rear output shaft does turn counter clockwise then the front would turn clockwise when you look at it. Am I stupid or is that correct???? Now he didnt say what kind of load you could put on the front shaft and not hurt the motor. I know having two shafts may take up some room where the battery sits & the mounting points may differ, but the way people are swapping every engine just about made into a golf cart, why wouldnt this work? The shaft does look kinda short though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MakeJpeg3.jpg (18.6 KB, 16 views)
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Would or could this work for a clockwise motor swap?

If you get a clutch that fits it will work.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Those types of engines are not designed for much lateral load on that side of the block and unless this is an I/C or Industrial/commercial engine it will not have a roller type bearing on the flywheel side of the crank and I don't think you would get any life out of it before the side case goes out of round on you.
They're more used for electric clutch or hydraulic pump applications.
Also if it is the type that the shaft is actually bolted to the flywheel instead of being part of the crankshaft you will again have lateral load issues and could explode the flywheel.
Don't wan't you kick dust on your Ideas but you might be money ahead in the long run to bite the bullet and get a motor for the application needed and just pay once.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

I can see your point, but there arent ANY motor options that are reasonable for 97 + CC. Does the clutch get that much of a load to where it will pull it that much? Im sure most are bolted to the front as opposed to cast into the crank
Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is a Kohler command, so that should be a commercial engine. Well I just called a supplier that sells these motors and he said this front shaft can take as much as the rear. I need to call the manufacture and see about it now. Lets see what they say.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Very interesting, keep us posted.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok so I called Kohler wich directed me to the tx division. I talked to an tech. I told him my plans and he knew about golf carts & the clutch setup. He said it should be fine as he has seen it hooked up to worse components. He said the front bearing is a little smaller than the rear bearing but as long as its got oil, there should be no room for failure. Also the front shaft is bolted on but is not weak for a clutch in a golf cart. Also just to clarify, the engine will run in clockwise when turned around to use the front shaft. Now what to do? Take everyones word, 3 guys and give it a try or maybe they are full of it? Its a $1400 decision to make.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your call, NO one has found a solution to this quandary that I know of... I proposed exactly what you are suggesting. But I let Crash talk me out of it ..... Surely you can rebuild the old motor for less.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

look on craigslist for a motor
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinandrew View Post
look on craigslist for a motor
kevin & drew, are you guys aware of the whole clockwise rotational problem with post 97 Club Cars?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car