lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
nateandjenn
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 92 Club car, white exhuast smoke

I am new to the forum and have had a lot of fun reading some of the banter that goes back and forth! I bought a 92 gas club car for $200 and started it as a project. When I started on the engine I found it had no spark. I replaced the ignitor and coil and got it working. The issue I am having now is there is decent amount of white smoke and it smells like a lawn mower!! I replaced the carb with a brand new carb and did a compression test and found it to be at 160 PSI. Any ideas what is making this thing smoke????
nateandjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
nateandjenn
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 92 Club car, white exhuast smoke

I should have given a little more detail. The engine oil level is right in the middle of low and fill. The smoke is not very thick but it really smells like a lawn mower. The cart is stock height and in stock form. It seems to run pretty good, but climbing the hill on the cart path of the golf course I live on it boggs pretty good and barely makes it up! Any help would be great!! Thanks

Nate
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Welcome Nateandjenn, Lets clear one thing up for scottyb before we move on, he's kinda, well you know, bless his heart!
Are you two people?
Bawahahaha!! - gotcha scotty!

When you say lawn mower do you mean like running rich smell? how's thew air filter?
When it bogs, does choking it help or make worse?
How long have you been running it since you got it? Even on a 4 stroke, any oil in the muffler will take a while to burn out.
Check the brakes to see if they are dragging?
Can you tell when it bogs if the clutches are cycling back to the "low gear" position?
Just throwing some things out there.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thanks Crash, I knew nate and jenn were a pair ..... just had that little problem with kevin an drew

160 psi is pretty good compression, your hill climbing problem may be a clutch and or belt problem?

Crash can help you guys out
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
nateandjenn
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey Crash and Scotty, thanks for the responses. I am Nate and the lady with the purse strings for this project is Jenn. I should have picked a better name as Jenn's interest in the cart ends at wanting to drive it around and have a few beers.

I have been driving it for about two weeks now. The air filter is brand new and the clamp on style like the K&N but its a UNI. The problem with that filter setup means I cant choke it while I am driving. The one thing I am not sure about is I have the throttle lever zip tied back to try and by bess the rev limiter. Would that cause it to not shift the clutch to the low gear?? The exhaust is kinda rusted up because it was removed from the motor for a year and left outside.

I will check the belt soon and see if it goes to the lower gear. I took the belt of yesterday and it came off fairly easy so I am wondering if it stretched out. The cart seems to run good except for small backfires when you throttle down every once in a while but I figured that may be normal.

The issue I am having is I already spent $100 on the carb, $80 on the ignitor, and $60 on the coil. I dont want to spend alot more on the stock motor because I would like to end up doing a clone motor until I can afford the v-twin from Tom.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Just curious...

Did you put in a larger main carb jet when you put on the K&N universal air filter?
(Club Cars are VERY picky about their "air to fuel mixture" ratio's!)
That may be the reason for your "Bogginess"!
It may not help with the smoke, but it may with the lawnmower smell!

If you didn't put in a larger jet, CPP can set you up with the proper one for that filter!
and you might want to get a new belt also!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
nateandjenn
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I did not put a larger jet in the carb. Last night I reconnected the rpm limiter which was disconnected by the previous owner and reconnected the governer and the smell seemed much MUCH better. I am thinking it was just over revving. I am going to buy a new belt today. The one that is on there was pretty easy to take off, so I am thinking that may be a source of some of my problems. I will try it tonight and update! Thanks All!!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateandjenn View Post
I did not put a larger jet in the carb. Last night I reconnected the rpm limiter which was disconnected by the previous owner and reconnected the governer and the smell seemed much MUCH better. I am thinking it was just over revving. I am going to buy a new belt today. The one that is on there was pretty easy to take off, so I am thinking that may be a source of some of my problems. I will try it tonight and update! Thanks All!!
Give it a shot!

From a past experience... modifying the air intake (filter, air box, etc.) sounded like a cheap way to get "A little more"

I was told that Club Cars don't run well without the proper mix of fuel and air,
But, I didn't listen, and found out the hard way! and I had to replace the bottom portion of my air box.

With the K&N filter, your engine gets more air, so you'll need more fuel to compensate it!

Just a suggestion!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car