lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Bigbill47
Not Yet Wild

Default 1977 removal of internal starter

I have a 1977 EZGO The brushes tore 2 sections out of the armature. I don't know if it can be fixed and have yet to find a new or used one. Does anyone know if I can use a bolt and shaft to remove the existing one? If so what size of bolt and shaft would I need? I have tried to find the puller for it but that is as hard to find as the replacement part.
ALSO if anyone has or knows where I can get another armature I would appreciate it. I live in Brighton Ontario Canada.

Thanks in advance
BigBill
Bigbill47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Bigbill47
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1977 removal of internal starter

I now have the part off (the bolt and shaft idea did work). I think my best chance would be to replace the armature. So if anyone has one or knows where I can get one PLEASE let me know.

Thanks again
BigBill
Bigbill47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:27 PM   #3
dave@tuckerswalk.com
Not Yet Wild

Years ago, you posted a question about an EZGO internal starter amature removal tool. I'm trying to make one myself for my 1976 EZGO 2pg engine with internal starter-dynamo. Can you tell me anything about the screw and shaft that you made that worked? What did it look like?

Thank you,
dave@tuckerswalk.com
dave@tuckerswalk.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:04 PM   #4
dave@tuckerswalk.com
Not Yet Wild

It took some work, but I was able to get the armature off the shaft without destroying them. I fabricated a 1/4 in diameter shaft about 3 1/2 inches long that fit into the crankshaft end (not threaded). The end of my armature was threaded for a 3/8 inch bolt (someone else must have taken it off before, as it should probably have been a coarse thread 10mm). Once I got the shaft short enough and maximized the number of threads to catch to avoid stripping out, I slowly cranked it tight with a breaker bar. It finally popped, to my great surprise and relief. Now I have to figure out whether the armature and/or field windings are junk, because its likely to be an expensive fix. Wish me luck!
dave@tuckerswalk.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO