lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
pbshrop
Not Yet Wild

Default problem with 81 yamaha g1 solenoid

i have a 1981 yamaha g1 gas. it has two solenoids one for forward and one for reverse. they are both 6 terminal 12v solenoids with all 6 terminals on the front. my forward solenoid went bad so i ordered a 6 terminal solenoid for the 82 and up. it has 4 terminals on the front and 2 on the back. i need help figuring out how to wire the new forward solenoid to my original solenoid. it would be very helpful if i could get pictures or diagrams. thank you
pbshrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: problem with 81 yamaha g1 solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbshrop View Post
i have a 1981 yamaha g1 gas. it has two solenoids one for forward and one for reverse. they are both 6 terminal 12v solenoids with all sex terminals on the front. my forward solenoid went bad so i ordered a 6 terminal solenoid for the 82 and up. it has 4 terminals on the front and 2 on the back. i need help figuring out how to wire the new forward solenoid to my original solenoid. it would be very helpful if i could get pictures or diagrams. thank you
Is that RED a typo or do you know a girl I went to school with ???
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW ... just hang on and one of the Yamaha experts will be along to help you with those sex terminals
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
pbshrop
Not Yet Wild

listen to what i mean not what i say
Old 01-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Don't take scottyb too seriously. We are here to help- but we may have a little fun along the way.
The first image is a diagram for a J10 model like yours (1979-81). The second image is for a J31 model (1984-89) which should match your replacement solenoid. I have never sat down to figure out how to rewire the older carts to accept the later solenoid, but I have heard it can be done. Let us know how you make out.
And about those sex terminals..........
Attached Files
File Type: pdf J10 wiring.pdf (894.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf wiring%20diagram%20Yamaha%20G1A5.pdf (230.4 KB, 43 views)
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
pbshrop
Not Yet Wild

i still can't seem to figure it out on the front of the new solenoid there are two big terminals and two small terminals. the left large terminal has a metal plate that jumps to the small terminal on top. if i put that on then the reverse works fine but the forward solenoid is engaged all the time but will not go forward only in reverse. if i take it off i can push the petal in forward and the solenoid will click but will not crank i'm trying to figure out if its possible to use two different different solenoids or if i'm going to have to buy another new one and wire the same as the 82 and up. let me know if you have any other ideas. thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 AM   #7
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Here is a pic of mine. I had the same confusion when I replaced it.

ky_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Typically large terminals run the power battery to starter, and small terminals run power signal (key/pedal) to/from ground to trigger the large terminals to activate.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
pbshrop
Not Yet Wild

thanks man where is your small yellow wire running
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Here is a different pic. I think I posted the wrong one first..

You have to turn the new solenoid (if it is the same type as mine) what appears to be backwards. If you look closely on the case of the solenoid there should be an "O" stamped on one end. Just make sure it is on the same side as the open side on your old solenoid.
ky_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha