lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
EZGOnSAVAGE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 87' 2PG Crankshaft Bearing Install ?

I just purchased a total rebuild kit (i.e. crankshaft, bearings, piston, rings, cylinder, etc. etc.) for my 1987 EZGO 2PG motor. I'm looking for tips on how to install the new bearings. I put the bearings in my freezer overnight and then heated the engine case(s) slightly with my torches and the bearings installed real easy into the cases. The problem now is how do you put the cases together with the new crankshaft. The crankshaft is .004 larger than the inside diameter of the bearing so it's not simply a matter of assembling and pulling together with the engine case bolts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
EZGOnSAVAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87' 2PG Crankshaft Bearing Install ?

I have heard the freezer / oven scenario before and it has never worked for me. What did work was taking the crankshaft and bearings to a machine shop and getting them pressed onto the shaft for $5. I then reassembled the crankcases and the crankshaft. As the bearings are an interference fit it was necessary to GENTLY tap them together with a rubber mallet until the 5 bolts would engage and then wind them together with the bolts in a criss cross pattern. Don't forget to apply some mastic between the cases, I like Mega Grey.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
EZGOnSAVAGE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I may have to go that route. In my mind it was a toss-up which side to press in first, the cases or the crankshaft. I'm still brainstorming on this and if I don't come up with any other ideas I will go with your advice. Thanks for your input. Also, should these bearings be packed with bearing grease or not ? Thanks again.

Last edited by EZGOnSAVAGE; 02-11-2011 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: added more info
EZGOnSAVAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You're welcome. Don't pack them with grease as the grease will block the gasoil getting to them. Dose everything up liberally with 2 stroke oil and be prepared for a smoke out when she first fires up
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
mikeevans860
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I need to re-build mt 87 2pg. I am going to be following you on here so please keep posting and post some pictures if you can. And your not in California are you?
mikeevans860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Ninjaneer
Not Yet Wild

If the crank shaft has an interference fit with the bearing how do you assemble to check for axial play. There is a shim washer stack-up that goes on the shaft, so how do you pick the number of shim washers to use? If they were a slip fit I would plan on starting with no shim washers -> assemble-> check play-> disassemble-> add washer-> assemble -> check -> and so on
Ninjaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO