lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
clubber
Not Yet Wild

Default 07 Precedent lifted top heavy

I have a 2007 4 passenger club car precedent with a 3" Jake's drop spindle lift. I am trying to decide between 18"x9.5"x10" or 20"x10"x10" wheels and all-terrain tires. I want my cart to be as stable as possible when I climb hills and use it for off-road. Will 2" of tire one way or the other make a difference in stability? Thanks in advance.
clubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
BadApple
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 07 Precedent lifted top heavy

Your only talking about a 1" difference in ride height, so I can't imagine a noticeable difference in stability. My $.02, go for the bigger tires
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
clubber
Not Yet Wild

Thanks BadApple. I had a 6" lift with 22" tires and I noticed a lot if instability. If I had a full cart while climbing hills, the front end of the cart would lift up. I think it has to do with the Precedent design. You appear to sit a little higher and slightly further back than other carts. I pulled the 6" lft off and installed the 3" yesterday. I don't want to repeat the wheelie stand with a full cart again. Thats why I was inquiring about the tires.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

You can also Use wheel spacers to give it a wider stance and more stability !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
clubber
Not Yet Wild

Thanks GLEEMO. I am not so concerned about stability side to side as I am front to back. With a loaded cart (3 kids on the back and 1-2 adults in the front) off-roading (some hill climbing) the front end will pick up completely off the ground and has nearly stood straight up. I took the 6" lift off and droped down to 3" but now need to change the wheels and tires to drop a little more. I know if I go from 22" down to 18" I will lower the ride height by 2" and also my clearance. I would prefer to use 20" tires as a compromise but don't know if the the 1" ride height difference will make a noticable difference in stability while hill climbing and off-roading. The body only dropped 1-1/2" when going from the 6" lift down to the 3" (not sure how that worked). If I go with 18" tires, I will have dropped the ride height 3-1/2" (tires and 3" lift). If I go with the 20" tires the cart will be 2-1/2" lower than before.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

on any lift isnt stability figured in your side to side angles? (roll overs- the whole point of adding wider tires with the offset rims to a lifted cart, and vise versa, need the lift for better tires and ground clearance off road) the only thing i see with a taller lift on a front to back stand point is a taller wheely till your bumper touches. my .02 cents would be loose the back pasengers up the hill, or counter balance by adding weight to the front. i dont think your going to find an awenser in tire size but you want to stay tall enough not to bottom out when breaking the hill top either
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The difference between 18" tires and 20" tires in so small that other than cutting a very small amount of hill climbing ability you should see no difference. By adding 20" wheels they normally extends the tread out further giving a wider track and a more stable ride. You did mention that you have a rear seat and that is the last thing you need as extra weight that HIGH AND FAR BACK behind center of cart gravity is creating a leverage problem? You might consider the addition of weight at front of cart ( maybe a winch or weights? ). In my area we have a fellow that dune climbs and he had his Precedent suspension taken out and a adjustable air lift installed ( BIG BUCKS ) so that along with extra frontal weight ( winch and weights added ) helped him a whole lot. He mounted the front suspension forward 4" and he told me it also helped alot and is considering going 6 or more additional inches?
A golf cart is not made to off road and like the old army jeeps, etc has very short wheel base that works against any grade beyond 10%
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
dmax27
Getting Wild

Have you tried the cart with the 22 inch tires and the 3 inch lift kit? How steep was the hill you were climbing? The cart my still go up in the air with to much weight in the rear even if you put on smaller tires. Try the 22 inch tires with the same people on the cart and see what happens. Make sure you have the heaver people in the front seat. You might try putting one of the kids in the front seat with you and your other front seat passenger on steep hills.
dmax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car