lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
rdawg60
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Question 12 Volt Accessories Connection

I have a 06 Precedent 48V Electric Cart. It has the 4 12volt batteries. I wanted to connect a 12volt accessory socket to plug in 12volt accessories. Do I need a voltage reducer or can I connect straight to one of the batteries? I know if I hook straight to one battery it will draw power off the one battery. Someone suggested if I did this to change the 12 volt socket around to a different battery peroidically. Any suggestions on what I should do? Don't want to mess up anything.
rdawg60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 12 Volt Accessories Connection

you can definitely do that. if so i would put the fuse under the seat as opposed to behind the instrument panel in case it blows.

Really best to just go ahead and get a 48 to 12V converter with 20+ Amps and wire in a fuse panel for future accessories - cause once you start to add stuff you will just keep going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03999.JPG (155.9 KB, 27 views)
encbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

I used to run my 12v accessories directly off bat's in my pack and then installed a converter to run them. I never really had any problems but didn't run more than a year on the 12v from bat's before I installed the converter and ran from the full pack.

From what I learned here, you are better off in the long run to install a converter and use the entire battery pack. That way you are using the full pack and discharging and charging all the batteries at the same time.

You can find converters on the web pretty cheap and if it saves one battery over the years it is well worth it.

JMO...
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Or lay the fuse across the battery pack , where mine is.
Reducer is best ! if ur running more than one thing or that 1 thing has a big draw .
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg60 View Post
I wanted to connect a 12volt accessory socket to plug in 12volt accessories. Do I need a voltage reducer or can I connect straight to one of the batteries? I know if I hook straight to one battery it will draw power off the one battery. Someone suggested if I did this to change the 12 volt socket around to a different battery peroidically.
IMO, forget the $150 reducer, you are only installing a 12v socket. Connecting to a single battery is a non-issue but don't forget to put a fuse in the line. You don't need to rotate batteries either.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
rdawg60
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Knowing how I am with toys you are probably right encbuggy. I will probably keep on adding things.
rdawg60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

install 4 cigarette lighter sockets. problem solved!
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
install 4 cigarette lighter sockets. problem solved!
-sj
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car