lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 90 club car 36v slow uphill

Just bought a 90 club car. Seems a bit sluggish going up hills. What would be the order of troubleshooting? When checking voltages on individual batteries, do I need to disconnect it from the others?

Just checking each one after a good overnight charge I get 6.5V on every one and 39 across the pack.

It has lots of cool customization but motor control is stock wiper type.

Very interested in just replacing all of the drive. I would like this baby to have a little pep. any advice on this? Are there Kits or does one piece it all together?

Thanks, Been doing a ton of reading and will do more.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 90 club car 36v slow uphill

Welcome to BGW Beau.
The voltage you posted is not completely settled. It does take 12 + hours for the batteries to settle and then you see how much of the charge they are able to retain.
You said you have the Speed wiper (V-glide) but is the cart a resistor coil or controller cart? Solid state speed controllers started in '90 or '91 as an option ... which system do you have.
I do have a packages to upgrade existing or convert resistor carts.
Save this chart below for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 25 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

how does one tell the difference? I would guess that it's resistor as there are multiple large cables running down to the frame.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The resistor coils look like bed springs and are mounted behind the batteries under a heat shield. The lack of resistor coils indicates a controller cart.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yep, she's a resistor. What are my options to pep it up? Can I upgrade to a 48v pack to juice it up?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

I am already noticing an increase in performance as I cycle the batteries. I wasn't aware of the needs of a battery pack like this until I read some of the stickies and posts here. What a nice group! Many of the forums I visit have so much background noise!

So my immediate thought of replacing everything is rapidly being replaced with a more incremental approach.

I read a post that said you can upgrade to 48v with a few changes. Would this be a good first step? My charger makes a mad buzz so I'll be replacing it soon. If 48v is simply batteries, a solenoid and cables. then perhaps, I should do this upgrade before buying a new charger.

Is this correct, or could anyone point me in the right direction for a tutorial.

Thanks,

b
Old 03-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

SCOTTYB is the expert on conversions like yours. I think he has a kit of needed parts he makes up depending on your wants, needs, and funds avaialble?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Beau and I talked on the phone a little this afternoon. We got a weeks worth of posting done Beau has alot of info to digest as he tries to decide just how upgraded he wants to be Good luck with the project.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

one thing he has to keep in mind is no matter what is done the cart is going to lose some going uphill its just the nature of the beast..................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Cart Update:

I have been using this cart regularly for a couple of months now. Speed and power gradually increased as batteries were cycled. Replaced charger with refurbished or B stock Protech which increased the performance of the cart signifigantly. At this point, I think the cart is performing up to stock specs, 12-15mph.

This cart is driven by my 11 yr old son, so for the summer the performance of the cart is about right for him. I'll be looking to go solid state as a winter project. Thanks for the help and advice here on the forum.

Thanks ScottyB, I will be ordering a full kit from you soon. The advice you have freely given to me and others has helped me solidify a long term plan for the club car.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car