lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
gregahamilton
Not Yet Wild

Default OBC, Batteries, or Both?

From lurking on this site I have found a wealth of information! However, I cannot narrow my solution down just yet.

I have a 1997 CC Series 48v cart that will not charge (the charger will not "click" on). From the instructions I have found on site I'm almost positive the OBC is bad. I have determined this from disconnecting the gray wire in-line fuse and running a jumper over to #6 battery neg. terminal. The charger will then "click" on and hum, giving the impression it is charging.

However, after leaving the cart like this overnight (~12 hours) I checked my pack voltage. I am only getting an average of 7.7 per battery and 48.6 across the entire pack.

Resetting the OBC did not yield any results.

Now for the big money question-Are my batteries bad too?
gregahamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: OBC, Batteries, or Both?

1st welcome, how old are the batts? the voltage is low but its still enough to kick charger on, if you can try your charger on another cart or get a known good charger and try on your cart you can confirm it if yours works on another cart or if the other charger won,t work on your cart.......i,m just guessing but from your post the famus 97 C.C. i can,t tell you how many OBC,s i have put in them, once you get that done than you can charge your batteries and than test them to see if they are ok..........receptical fuse and grey wire ok? if so than OBC..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Seems to me when he bypssed the obc the charger should have been putting out charging amperage/voltage. I saw a cart once that had the triple wammy. It is rare but your charger may need repair and obc may be bad, the jury is still out on those batteries

What do you think Shadowman?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm doing a small experiment today, I have a 97CC with a bad obc, I have installed an on board stand alone charger.

I will see how this works out....
Old 04-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
gregahamilton
Not Yet Wild

The batteries are 2007, so a bit old but still should hold a good charge, right?

The fuse checked good both visually and continuity.

How can I check the gray wire for continuity?

BTW-the way I bypassed the OBC was the fuse port on the gray wire coming from the charging port. The reason I ask, is after charging all last night with the OBC bypassed, I was only able to make it about 500 yds before it died.

I don't have a way of checking my charging amps because the meter is either broken, or it is not putting out enough amps to register.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Get a digital volt meter , measure each battery then across the entire pack.
post the results here.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
gregahamilton
Not Yet Wild

#1-7.6, #2-7.7, #3-7.7, #4-7.7, #5-7.7, #6-7.6, Pack-38.4 (This is after I ran out of juice and have not recharged).
Old 04-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Thanks , they are for sure dead,
now charge leave it on the charger shuts off. wait 4-6 hours ans measure again !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

scotty yeah you know thats a possibility, when your done with your experment let me know how it goes.......one thing about the OBC,s is once you get the better version your ok anf its cheaper most of the time than buying a new charger to get around it........a lot of the chargers are if your lucky 300.00 up to 5 or 6 hundred average OBC is 150.00 seems to me just throw one in.......................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

True one and done, there are exceptions. I put one in a cart last summer. Turns out it was the 3rd one in 4-5 yrs? That would piss off the Pope.
The charger I am playing with sells for $300 and the old charger is worth $150 any day so it's a $150 fix too. Who knows just experimenting because there is a guy asking if he can install an aftermarket charger and disconnect the bad obc. I don't see why not. You may have to bring a new Negative lead to the solenoid, but that is about all I see on the older carts, no?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car